How has Raleigh touched your cycling life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Earlier this year I gave a talk at Nottingham Uni on the early history of the bicycle industry in England as part of Raleigh's 125th anniversary.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/CAS/ral...andscapeMediaGalleryNoCaption_List_GoToPage=1

DuncanT

Regular
I always wanted one of these
gt1.jpg

I have always been slightly un-conformist

Lance Jack

Über Member
The Grifter, that brings back memories. I learned to ride on my sisters bike and then my first bike was a Grifter.
I also won a Raleigh Town-something a few years ago. I was mad on competitions and did every one going, won a few things as well, one of them being a very nice bike.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I inherited my fathers Lenton Sports & used it for a few yearsfrom the late 50s untill I bought my Sun Snipe in about 1963. It was in excellent condition when I got it but sadly by the time I replaced it, it was only fit for the big bike rack in the sky

the_mikey

Legendary Member
My first three bikes as a child were all made by Raleigh, I started with the Raleigh Budgie, then moved on to a Raleigh Strika, and then I had my first Raleigh Road Bike (it was white with red graphics , child sized with mudguards). Even the MTB I had for commuting to work on was a somewhat heavy but entirely reliable Raleigh.

Crosstrailer

Red Raleigh Tomahawk
Yellow Mk 1 Chopper
Black Mk 2 'Prismatic' Limited Edition Chopper

and most recently a rear light which has packed up after 3 months.......

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I did my cycling proficiency test on a sky blue and whire Raleigh BMX at a time where BMXs were not popular and all my friends were buying rigid MTBs with a massive 15 gears on them.

I then went through a couple of MTBSOs after that and stopped riding.

Now I have an early 90s Raleigh Criterium 501 frame (from a forumite on a different forum) which I have built up and is now my main audax and general riding bike: -

Photo0145.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My first proper bike as a child was a Rudge with solid tyres.

I believe they were bought by Raleigh or connected in some way.

In the 80s I had a new Raleigh Marauder 'mountain' bike - simple road frame with chunky tyres and cheapie 18-speed Shimano gears.

I did a lot of miles on that - for me - including a ride from Walthamstow, east London, into the West End and back.

It was the furthest I'd ever been on bike - I don't go a lot further now.

Top Bottom