How hilly is your ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
A nice hill with a view in Cheshire is Mow Top.
IMG_5209.JPG

Mow Cop Hill climb stats

• Distance 0.9 miles
  • Average Gradient: 11.7%
  • Maximum gradient: 23%
  • Elevation gain: 170 metres (560 feet)
  • 60+ mile ride from Warrington (and Back).
http://cyclinguphill.com/mow-cop-the-killer-mile/

Last edited:

sackville d

Veteran
Ha ha ... I'm thinking of knocking together a cheapo singlespeed bike for my 'hilly' Lidl trips. I normally just walk but there are times when I want to nip down for just one or two items but can't be bothered. A bike not worth nicking and not to be mourned if nicked is what I want!
I know it`s Tod and all that but do you mind not bringing the neighborhood down please Colin! :whistle:

Where I live in central Buckinghamshire most of my rides work out at about 30-40 feet of climbing per mile - I regard 50ft/mi as being my marker on whether my ride was "hilly" or not.

Strangely though, I get that 30-40 no matter what terrain I seem to do. If I head north or west out into Aylesbury Vale, it's all rolling countryside - nothing steep but constantly up and down and that does keep the elevation numbers ticking over. If I head south or east I encounter the delights of the Chilterns - mainly Cat 4 climbs, although some are seriously steep (just short at the same time), yet because it doesn't have much in the way of smaller undulations, once you're over one hill and down the other side (unless you decide to tackle a whole load of climbs in a single ride) you'll end up with a similar amount of elevation to a rolling route.

I'm with you on that one. I ride around there most weekends, there are very few long hills just lots of short and steep (10-20% and 100m of ascent) nasties. It's not at all unusual to do a dozen of those in a ride.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I find it interesting that Alpine riding and Dartmoor riding come out fairly similar, at around the 1000ft per 10 miles, but the riding is utterly different. You'll probably be able to work out which is which, from these profiles of a couple of my rides:

elevsiewallimasdie.jpg

elevtopideash2brtop64m.jpg

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
I find it interesting that Alpine riding and Dartmoor riding come out fairly similar, at around the 1000ft per 10 miles, but the riding is utterly different. You'll probably be able to work out which is which, from these profiles of a couple of my rides:

elevsiewallimasdie.jpg

Out of interest, do they feel like the same amount of climbing ? Looking at the profiles I instinctively feel the Dartmoor profile would be harder, even though the individual climbs are much shorter.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Out of interest, do they feel like the same amount of climbing ? Looking at the profiles I instinctively feel the Dartmoor profile would be harder, even though the individual climbs are much shorter.
Both are hard in their own ways, and it's probably more to do with the head than the legs - on Dartmoor many of the climbs are quite brutal (I'd forgotten how hard Ashburton to Two Bridges is) but mostly short, but in the Alps you need to get your head in the right place knowing you'll be going uphill for maybe an hour or more, but rarely with anything that really takes you out of a trance-like rhythm. I enjoy both.

Both are hard in their own ways, and it's probably more to do with the head than the legs - on Dartmoor many of the climbs are quite brutal (I'd forgotten how hard Ashburton to Two Bridges is) but mostly short, but in the Alps you need to get your head in the right place knowing you'll be going uphill for maybe an hour or more, but rarely with anything that really takes you out of a trance-like rhythm. I enjoy both.

I've not had the chance to try any long/high climbs yet, always just the short/sharp stuff. I'm really interested to see how they compare. I've certainly noticed that 2 x steep ascent/descents have a slower average speed (for me) than 1 x moderate ascent/descent with same distance and climb total.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

elevsiewallimasdie.jpg

It's interesting that those climbs don't behave like Norfolk's ones which although not high, almost always steepen near the top. For comparison, here's the profile of my ride yesterday (still only 38ft/mile though):
Screenshotfrom2016-06-1311:32:59.png

Top Bottom