How I cooked my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Interesting looking frame.

It's a Decathlon Triban hybrid. I bought one in Orleans when my Dawes Galaxy's frame snapped. Despite my reservations about its appearance it proved to be a reliable and comfortable ride. My version came with hub dynamo lighting, suspension forks and Shimano Deore 27 speed transmission - all for £350.

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
[QUOTE 3054685, member: 9609"]
I was interested in you comment about assembling the part dry to help stop it coming loose, If they are tightened properly they should never come loose and I always pack stuff out with grease or copper grease if it is going to be in a vulnerable place to the elements. However, I was thinking, how would something like silicone (as in bathroom sealant) perform in such a situation. its a bit sticky but doesn't dry out fully and creates a good water tight seal.[/QUOTE]

hi Reiver, my thinking behind assembling it with dry bolts was that there is a layer of paint and lacquer inside a thread between alloy frame and steel bolt to prevent fusion. however i reckon the paint/lacquer was (partially) stripped when the bolts were tightened. subjected to a salty spray from underneath the front wheel, bolts have seized solid.
silicone should work ok as a threadlock imo - haven't tried using it though!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Genius Method.

Would silcone grease work as a lubricant/fixer to keep screws in place? It's both a lubricant and sticky I believe.

Acyclo

Veteran
Last edited:
OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
Genius Method.

Would silcone grease work as a lubricant/fixer to keep screws in place? It's both a lubricant and sticky I believe.

silicone grease is quite "liquid" (at least the one i have), it would not work as a threadlock. but it is great to smear on rubber seals o-rings of bike lights to prevent water ingress (petroleum based grease damages rubber).

What a lovely bike!

Glad you got it sorted though :biggrin: Now I best get some grease and grease up my bolts before they seize.

Top Bottom