How I wish I had the courage to do something like that !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just been watching a 40 minutes film on YouTube about this Canadian couple who rode the Eurovelo 6 trail from St Nazaire to the Swiss border, a distance of 1487 kms in 32 days through stunning scenery including my own town of Orleans. :ohmy:
I think they are in their early 60s.
I really enjoyed seeing many of the chateaux I already know and felt quite homesick afterwards. I am grateful to this couple for reminding me what a beautiful country France is.
Like my title says, I really wish I had the guts to take my bike and ride eurovelo 6 but I am too sedentary . What a shame.:sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really enjoyed seeing many of the chateaux I already know and felt quite homesick afterwards. I am grateful to this couple for reminding me what a beautiful country France is.
It IS a beautiful country. Watching the Tour de France on TV in 1989 is what inspired me to get back into cycling.

My stepdaughter is learning French and is going to go to France with her mum next summer to try out her new language skills. I can't remember what the name of the town/village is. I'll ask her when we chat next.

You are NOT too old to go back and tour your own country though! You could always just do a shorter tour and take your time.

I have just been watching a 40 minutes film on YouTube about this Canadian couple who rode the Eurovelo 6 trail from St Nazaire to the Swiss border, a distance of 1487 kms in 32 days through stunning scenery including my own town of Orleans. :ohmy:
Like my title says, I really wish I had the guts to take my bike and ride eurovelo 6 but I am too sedentary . What a shame.:sad:
The couple you admire were only averaging 46 kms/day which is a very manageable distance; probably they did more some days and less or none on others. Do it!

Great post and kudos for making it.

I don't "know" you from here so I don't know if there are any personal circumstances that prevent you from touring. I'm answering based on your post.

What exactly is the problem?

If you really are too sedentry then there's an easy fix - training, oops, I mean practicing. In simple English riding a bike. Forget distance, focus on enjoyment. (I'll ride far further, happier if I'm enjoying myself.) Forget speed and think about where you'd like to go. Forget specs and think about what you'll see, feel (and for me eat and drink!)
There's no rule that says epic distances have to be covered. There's no rule that says you can't take a bus/train/plane or taxi. There's no rule that says you have to pass a bakery without a coffee and pastry. ^_^
You make the rules for your own tour. And then throw them out and do what you want. ^_^

(In the example you gave they averaged less than 50km per day. A bit more if they took rest days. With all day to do it 50km doesn't seem insurmountable. And if it does what's wrong with averaging 25 per day?)

If guts are the problem, or a lack of them, then a little mental training, oooops, I mean practicing is in order. If you can cycle your bike then riding in France is not beyond you. France is one of the great cycling countries. Build confidence. Don't shy away from the things that bother you - face them down.
I've yet to have a tour where the "bad" things that happened didn't turn out to be, well, maybe not a blessing, but an experience that opened doors I wasn't expecting to be opened.
(To my way of thinking the mental side is often far more important than the physical side, especially when it comes to enjoyment. I can slow down, get physio or medication for a physical ailment on tour. If my head's not right only I can fix that.)

You've been inspired! (Often the first metaphorical pedal stroke of a tour). And for some reason your mind has put up a barrier or barriers. There's obviously a bit of internal conflict because you've posted here about it.
It seems to me that more inspiration is called for until the inspiration freewheels through the barrier(s).

CrazyGuyOnABike is always my first recommendation for inspiration. A really useful search function means you can search a variety of locations and types of touring. Often the most inspiring are the people we relate to more than the locations. (There's also the inhouse Travelogue subforum).

I'd find myself asking "if they can do it why can't I?". The answer to that is the answer to everything.

If YouTube is your thing there's no shortage of videos. Same process. Same question.

I've often found reading about areas to be particularly inspiring.

Fill yourself up with inspiration.

And then hop on your bike and have your great adventure.

They say at the end of our days we regret the things we didn't do, not the things we did.

The best of luck to you.
Or should I say bonne chance? :becool:

Similar sentiments since my 30s. Even spent time on touring bike specs - Surly and Koga up to the nth degree.

However the terms "sedentary" and "guts" is nice word for all other responsibilities - family obligations, impact on spouse, financials and career. Nobody wants to be a burden on society and we all want to contribute to society so free-loading is not an option for many.

So don't beat yourself up. If and when it happens, it happens. If not, do what you have been doing by reading the exploits of others.

I spend my quiet times late at night with a glass of whiskey reading travelogs of the Naipaul, Krakauer, Iyer, Murphy, Bryson, Dalrymple, Theroux etc. And some astounding blogs from touring cyclists and there are many that are good.

Drago

Legendary Member
I love France. Calais, Sangatte, les Banlieues, just beautiful. Much like the UK, the bits that haven't been ruined by town planners and Bovis homes are indeed lovely.

Gavroche, you don't need to have courage to do it. You need nothing more than the will to do so... although a few quid to see you through and good health/fitness would probably help a bit.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I have just been watching a 40 minutes film on YouTube about this Canadian couple who rode the Eurovelo 6 trail

I think that would make an excellent first tour. It takes a well sign posted line of least resistance from west to east across France. The route itself is interesting with lots of local businesses, such as campsites really keen to support riders along the route. They even offer substantial discounts to cyclists making it cheap to do which is a bonus. Even on your own you won't be lonely as you'll also meet lots of others 'going the same way' which always helps with motivation and support.

Go!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The first pedal stroke is the hardest. Once you are underway momentum keeps you in motion.

Brandane

Legendary Member
France, IMHO, is the best country in the world for cycling. It has the climate, scenery, facilities, and most importantly a good attitude from it's residents towards cyclists.
@gavroche , I have passed through and spent a night in Orleans, while doing a cycle ride which I can highly recommend - the "Loire a vélo" route. Mostly flat, following the route of the Loire from the Atlantic to it's source. In fact, just typing this makes me want to do it again, and with my 60th birthday not far away I was looking for ideas. Hmmmmm!!! Might do it in the opposite direction this time.

Last edited:
Euro touring in summer can be very easy esp during school terms. Not sure how covid restrictions play out but municipal and commercial campsites are available everywhere. In harsh weather you can find local accommadation. You can ride easy milleage and pick flat routes.
I used to camp without cooking and eat out out. You can travel light and sample the local cuisine.

Once you declare that you are going, you can pack your bags, repack with half the stuff, and head on out.

France, IMHO, is the best country in the world for cycling. It has the climate, scenery, facilities, and most importantly a good attitude from it's residents towards cyclists.
@gavroche , I have passed through and spent a night in Orleans, while doing a cycle ride which I can highly recommend - the "Loire a vèlo" route. Mostly flat, following the route of the Loire from the Atlantic to it's source. In fact, just typing this makes me want to do it again, and with my 60th birthday not far away I was looking for ideas. Hmmmmm!!! Might do it in the opposite direction this time.
Does it follow a river for lots of the way? If so, does this make it less interesting?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Thank you so much for your heartwarming comments.
I will be doing the C2C up North next June over 3 or 4 days, so see how that is going first.
I have been thinking a lot of taking my bike to Orleans and start from there but going West on the Loire valley although I would prefer someone to accompany me. May be Chris would ? He is the one I am doing the C2C with and he likes travelling.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Does it follow a river for lots of the way? If so, does this make it less interesting?
It does, but with short diversions away from it. However it is a very interesting river ^_^ and passes through a lot of towns and cities - Nantes, Angers, Tours, Amboise (my favourite place), Orleans (take a train to Paris for a diversion), Nevers..... The scenery is also varied as you head east/west depending on which way you choose to travel.
If you find rivers "less interesting" then it might not be the route for you, but I find them quite enjoyable!

Top Bottom