How I wish I had the courage to do something like that !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
@gavroche, I watched the clip and found it utterly inspiring. It didn't look too hard even for a complete sloth such as myself. What intrigued me was how they did or didn't secure their panniers when casually visiting a historic site for a couple of hours when they were on the road. Does anybody know how it's done?
In more rural areas, park your bike in sight of the ticket office or a busy entrance. In cities, I book accommodation with bike parking e.g hostel or hotel rather than camping.

T4tomo

Guru
In more rural areas, park your bike in sight of the ticket office
When bike-train-bike commuting I always parked bike 1 opposite the minicab office door and made a point of chatting / saying hello to the dispatcher(s).

Actually, I think "responsibilities" are very different from "sedentary" and "guts".

The OP is talking about being inspired by a tour of less than a month at 50km per day.
Career ending, financial disaster, free loading are extreme responses to such a tour, no?

With respect this is likely to see it never happen. It suggests some outside agency will make it happen.

I understand that people have obligations and responsibilities.
Potential bike tourists can also influence those obligations and responsibilities.
If a time arrives when a tour may be possible it is up to the potential tourist to actually make it happen. Tours generally don't occur organically.

I knew a guy in NL with a business in second hand touring bikes, mainly Kogas. Bought with great plans to travel continents. Never got out of NL. Some great bargains.
Lots and lots of people want "it" to happen.

We have to make it happen.
What you are doing is remarkable and commendable. Having said that you do not have a wife or kids unlike OP. OP has a close knit family and grandkids from what I can tell from his postings over the years. With every dependent, obligations tend to increase many fold - school, health, family dynamics etc. Those in a similar situation cannot upsticks and go. In your case, it also appears you had a medical episode which made you realise to take it easy.

If you read my post it clearly mentions family obligations as the central point. So we all in a different boat and we need to understand and respect that. You cannot apply your lens to others.

What you are doing is remarkable and commendable. Having said that you do not have a wife or kids unlike OP. OP has a close knit family and grandkids from what I can tell from his postings over the years. With every dependent, obligations tend to increase many fold - school, health, family dynamics etc. Those in a similar situation cannot upsticks and go. In your case, it also appears you had a medical episode which made you realise to take it easy.

If you read my post it clearly mentions family obligations as the central point. So we all in a different boat and we need to understand and respect that. You cannot apply your lens to others.
Hold on a minute.
I replied to the information in the OPs post. I'm not going to trawl their posting history to get a picture of their whole life. They mentioned sedentary and guts. You mentioned obligations.

I took issue with the use of language in your post. I happen to think the language that we use is very important, especially in our internal monologues.
Specifically, I took issue with the suggestion that "sedentary" and "guts" are synonomous with responsibilities. I do not think they are. No argument has been made to refute that.
I also highlighted the suggestion that a bike tour just happens. That is not my experience.
I took issue with the suggestion that a four week bike tour leads to someone being a burden on society. I just don't comprehend that. And you've avoided answering that in your post. That has to be an example of some of the most negative hyperbolic language in relation to a bike tour in France, or anywhere, that I've ever read.

"Family obligations" are a very interesting point to explore.
I could make a valid argument that in the scenario you have described someone heading away on a bike tour could actually be a very good thing in the family dynamic by shaking things up and, most importantly, being an inspiration to younger generations.
Not to mention the fact that it could be a family activity.
Are you aware of parents who are effectively slaves to their children or grandchildren? Whose daily routine revolves around a schedule of school runs, babysitting and cooking meals?
I am.
Some are happy to do it, others feel under an obligation.
Family obligations can be unhealthy. As can work obligations. As can just about any obligation. Just because they exist doesn't mean that they should continue or not be tweaked.
Another way to look at it is that some people would be horrified that a loved one was denying themselves something out of a sense of obligation and that if the subject was broached there may well be nothing but support and goodwill forthcoming.

In any case, and coming back to language, upping sticks and going sounds to me as sudden, unplanned and chaotic. There's no need for a four week tour to be like that. Nor, indeed, a tour of much longer.

The suggestion that I need to respect others infers that I have disrespected others. Who have I disrespected and how?
If you're referring to the fact that I took issue with your language then I'd remind you that this is a discussion forum and all we have to discuss is what is written.

Finally, I made no reference to myself in any posts on this thread. For you to reference me in the manner you have done is needlessly personal.
How dare you mention my medical "episode", a topic discussed in one area of this forum where context was provided. And your conclusion is completely wrong. Crossing the Appalachians is not taking it easy.

In that vein I'll respond personally.
I have bike toured.
I can recall vividly the fear I felt on my first ever bike tour, rolling out of Passau in Germany wondering if I'd ever reach my destination 40 flat km down the road - where my bags would be waiting for me having being shuttled there by a van.
Overweight, totally unfit and scared poopless I was the very definition of "sedentary" and lacking "guts".
I can also recall the bemusement, then elation, on discovering that where I stopped for lunch was actually my destination for the day.

Interestingly, that trip and subsequent ones helped me to look again at my obligations and reprioritise them. My current adventure is a direct consequence of that first terrifying then highly enjoyable experience. I learned, I gained confidence (and "guts") and I reorganised my "obligations" to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. A very healthy process, I believe, looking back now and something I'd suggest to anyone.

I have a lot of understanding for those that say "I'd love to but......" My suggestions are always to get out there, give it a shot and see if it's for you. All that is needed is a bike. And the right stuff between the ears and beating in the chest.
Whatever the "but" is can usually be overcome if a bit of thought, effort and persuasion (internal and external) is applied.
To sound like an engineer for a moment, the first step in overcoming a problem (the "but") is to correctly identify that problem.
Hence why so many people kit themselves out for world tours and never make it past the local shop. They thought the problem was kit. It wasn't.

The fears we have sitting at home thinking about all the things that can go wrong, in my experience, are not nearly so vivid on the road.

Other advice I consistently offer is to look for inspiration from others. I consistently suggest CrazyGuyOnABike because it is quite easy to pick out people that speak to us, that are similar to us, to see how they approached our difficulties and look to learn.

Once on the road we meet even more inspiration. Ironically, France is full of families travelling together. (I know this because I have toured in France and met them). E-bikes make multi-generational trips even more accessible.
I once met an extended group of family and friends with a custom made (tandem) bike that was carrying a paralysed man. Communication was difficult but I gathered that bike touring was something he had enjoyed prior to an accident and friends and family went to huge effort to allow him continue to do it. Maybe their obligation to him should have been to keep him safe and comfortable at home?

As for applying my lens to others three words come to mind - pot, kettle, black.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have just been watching a 40 minutes film on YouTube about this Canadian couple who rode the Eurovelo 6 trail from St Nazaire to the Swiss border, a distance of 1487 kms in 32 days through stunning scenery including my own town of Orleans. :ohmy:
I think they are in their early 60s.
I really enjoyed seeing many of the chateaux I already know and felt quite homesick afterwards. I am grateful to this couple for reminding me what a beautiful country France is.
Like my title says, I really wish I had the guts to take my bike and ride eurovelo 6 but I am too sedentary . What a shame.:sad:
There seems to be a bit of confusion on your assertion that you are 'too sedentary' what do you really mean by that?.

Sounds like you're off on the Northern CtC at some point - thats not exactly 'sedentary' lots of lovely hills in fact.

Lack of guts sounds like you don't feel 'brave enough' but I'm sure you know that cycling in France is generally much more chilled than in uk.
The reception for cyclists is usually more friendly , and if Orleans is your own town then clearly language is no barrier.

fwiw i often feel a bit nervous before i set off on tour - even though i always love it once i get going -
i just tell myself its excitement - not nerves
( actually its both)

I dont have child or elder care to think about at this point in my life - but work and other commitments do fill my time, so i find booking something such as a train or ferry means i've committed - and i've committed to taking that time away - i frame it as giving my usual companions a 'break' from me :hello:.

The other thing i do sometimes is set some sort of goal - even if its a bit 'silly' or arbitrary.

The last longish trip i did was taking a ferry to Santander then cycled to Western Galicia to stay with a friend who lives there, who was knitting me a jumper - So of course i had to go there for a fitting (!?)

Having a theme or purpose to hang your trip on can make it more fun - I've had more bizarre ones than the one above :wacko:

and having that 'purpose' is an instant icebreaker for conversations - although my frail Spanish tired of trying to explain about the knitwear -and in the end i gratefully accepted the assumption of, and good wishes for "Buen Camino" -

plus the free snacks offered that seemed to accompany that :whistle:

I always take camping gear so as to be totally flexible - but i have the same very light stuff i use for backpacking so its not too much of a drag - but for rainy days or for needing extra comfort i've always found 'booking' very reasonable price and easy to use - at home and abroad -.

The leaving your bike panniered up whilst sightseeing is usually fine in country places - under a hedge even - although of course you take all your valuables - in cities its normally possible to leave it where you're staying - you can check ahead - or find a friendly cafe patron to keep an eye out .
Keeping things looking a bit 'scruffy' - may have helped me in the past - drape your threadbarest shirt over things..

A final thought is that some folks seem to love minute step by step planning- its part of the trip -
others (like me) generally prefer to just see where the road takes them - and not have too rigid a structure - beside catching ferries and so forth.-

I think that comes down to personality really - neither is wrong

I'm really hoping to go to France touring as soon as is possible - maybe i should just book a ferry now ... :angel:

Last edited:
My sense is you are trying convince yourself with your lens.
Convince myself?
Of what, exactly? ^_^

You have refused to engage on any of the points I have made instead been needlessly personal and shamelessly dragged my health into the discussion and now yet another personal dig.

Good luck with your touring. Despite your hostility I genuinely mean that - throwing my leg over a bike and going for an adventure is one of the best things I've ever done.
Sometimes I tend to evangelise because I firmly believe that it's something that just about anyone can do. And the rewards can be amazing.

I hope the shrill, scary voices that you are listening to calm down at some stage.

Written on a bike tour. :tongue:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
@gavroche: Quand tu veux, tu peux
Je suis d'accord mais on est pas toujours le maitre de son destin.

yello

I have been thinking a lot of taking my bike to Orleans and start from there but going West on the Loire valley although I would prefer someone to accompany me.

Before my health concerns, I'd been thinking of riding up to Blois/Orleans then going east to the Canal de Berry, then home across country. It'd make a good-ish circuit for me. If I can get a sign-off from the cardiologist then I'd be tempted to give it a go in pootle mode. Around 500km for me all up, and pretty gentle as far as I can see. I think I need something like that tbh.

A friend sent me this article today and I thought of this thread.

It's an obituary, so it may not sound inspirational but I thought that these comments stood out.

Right from the beginning he asserted that no problem was insurmountable, even if it might require some creative thinking.

At the age of 74 Bernard fulfilled a long held ambition to cycle from Land’s End to John O’Groats, characteristically spinning out the route to over 1,500 miles along byways and off-road tracks

The full article is here:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/31/bernard-heath-obituary

Sallar55

Veteran
We are retired, on the Euro velo 3 from Spain to a ferry in Brittany. We have seen lots of retired cyclists on route takng advantage of the low season prices for hotels and camping. Each year we see more touring on E - bikes, and most hotels are geared up for eco tourism. Never been an issue storing bikes or taking them into the budget motel type hotel rooms. French rural hotels with the FFCT stickers are good. Yesterday's French cyclo camper is now an E-bike tourist using gites, chamber d hotes and hotels just judging by the luggage carried.

dimrub

Me and the kid are going to tackle this route next, as part of our attempt to do all of EV6. I wanted to break it into two sections (with Nevers being the natural mid-point), but the kid is adamant that we can - and should - do it in one go - we're currently planning for ~12 days, with an option of continuing to Strassbourg from Mulhouse (which was our starting point last time, so no need to go any further East next time), along EV15.

We finally plan to drop the credit card mode and camp all the way, seems like France is the ideal country for that.

Top Bottom