How I wish I had the courage to do something like that !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

And here's this guy: http://foldabiketravel.com/
I believe, Alex Mumzhiu was born in 1937, which makes him 85 if I'm not mistaken. His site contains his travels starting from 2000 (when he was "just" 63) and the latest installment is dated 2021. If that is not enough, he has travelled all over the world... on a Brompton.

Jameshow

Veteran
And here's this guy: http://foldabiketravel.com/
I believe, Alex Mumzhiu was born in 1937, which makes him 85 if I'm not mistaken. His site contains his travels starting from 2000 (when he was "just" 63) and the latest installment is dated 2021. If that is not enough, he has travelled all over the world... on a Brompton.

Poor guy hasn't he seen the light of bigger wheels yet?!🤣🤣🤣

mustang1

Guru
Similar sentiments since my 30s. Even spent time on touring bike specs - Surly and Koga up to the nth degree.

However the terms "sedentary" and "guts" is nice word for all other responsibilities - family obligations, impact on spouse, financials and career. Nobody wants to be a burden on society and we all want to contribute to society so free-loading is not an option for many.

So don't beat yourself up. If and when it happens, it happens. If not, do what you have been doing by reading the exploits of others.

I spend my quiet times late at night with a glass of whiskey reading travelogs of the Naipaul, Krakauer, Iyer, Murphy, Bryson, Dalrymple, Theroux etc. And some astounding blogs from touring cyclists and there are many that are good.

A number of cycling books I read and videos I watch are about traveling. I am not in a position to travel so I read and watch about others doing it on my behalf. So the dream is always there and maybe when I'm old and in my final days, I'll think "bugger, I should have could have" but the truth is, I could not have because that's not my reality. I'm happy with what I have though.

A number of cycling books I read and videos I watch are about traveling. I am not in a position to travel so I read and watch about others doing it on my behalf. So the dream is always there and maybe when I'm old and in my final days, I'll think "bugger, I should have could have" but the truth is, I could not have because that's not my reality. I'm happy with what I have though.

Keep that dream. I still do.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am privileged to work with the elderly and the most striking thing I've learnt is that life really is too short and can change in a heartbeat so have promised myself that s*it or bust in the next three years I will go on the water by small narrow boat with cycle on board where I will just travel around seeing the countryside, meeting people and long cycle rides. I have no desire to end up regretting not trying for that big adventure.
I've yet to get said small boat but will sell all my 'stuff' that I've accumulated over time and continue saving for when the time comes. Foraging training with books when I'm out cycling now and forming a 'list' of must see things for later. Lots of mini adventures before then of course.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't tend to read such books or watch such videos. I end up feeling jealous esp if it's a couple involved

I get out on the bike perhaps twice a week and these YouTubers who post emotional videos about a bad day in the saddle get my goat. They Don know what a bad day looks like if it bit them up the backside!

Try having a bad day on the way to work, at work, or a difficult relationship or a disabled child or a chronic illness to contend with...

Sorry rant over!

I don't tend to read such books or watch such videos. I end up feeling jealous esp if it's a couple involved

I get out on the bike perhaps twice a week and these YouTubers who post emotional videos about a bad day in the saddle get my goat. They Don know what a bad day looks like if it bit them up the backside!

Try having a bad day on the way to work, at work, or a difficult relationship or a disabled child or a chronic illness to contend with...

Sorry rant over!

There certainly is an issue with videos and the written word tending towards exaggeration but I posted that video because it's quite down to earth, quite real.
I find the trick with such things is to find and focus on the people that "speak" to us, the ones that reflect some part of us, whether real or aspirational.

As for your rant, the people who do these videos are normal people. Just like you. Just like me. They've had bad days at work, bad relationships and sick relatives too.

One of the greatest (in my opinion) bike touring video makers was carrying frightening demons along with him. Another well known YouTuber has admitted that he struggles with Mental Health issues too.

I've always found that donning my "touring head" and going for a ride, even if only for a short while) is a great way of getting perspective and giving myself a break from daily, grinding pressures. *
An hour, a day, a weekend, whatever, I think a big part of its value was something that I did for myself (as opposed to something just happening). I might be 5kms from my front door but in my mind I could be anywhere.
When I couldn't ride a read of a good journal on CrazyGuyOnABike was part inspiration, part goal setting and always educational.

* Sometimes I packed up a pannier for my commute and on the way home stopped along a canal to brew up some coffee and read a book. A half hour of time but half a world of a journey.

It's not been my experience that just because someone, somewhere is doing something that I want to do that that somehow means my chance of doing it is less. In fact, it's usually the opposite.

Top Bottom