How important is the weather for a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
Cycling is supposed to be fun, right? So why go out in a howling wind, or in heavy rain, or when the midday sun is going to frazzle you?

That's the fun part wind, rain, snow, heat, and hills.

Smudge

Veteran
How important is the weather for a ride?

Very.... I dont cycle in strong winds, rain, snow, sleet, ice on the road or the sort of heat we're having this week. I dont mind the cold, i can dress for that.
Cycling to me is just an enjoyable pastime, not something to be endured.

Cycling is supposed to be fun, right? So why go out in a howling wind, or in heavy rain, or when the midday sun is going to frazzle you? I don't commute, and I'm not a masochist. I don't set hard mileage targets, and I'm not interested in pre-planned club type riding. For me, cycling is a casual activity which I try to do when I am going to get the most enjoyment out of the ride. I always check the weather forecast religiously every day, and try to pick the days with the most benign riding conditions. If, say, a Saturday is forecast to be windy and/or wet, but the Sunday calmer, I'll often give the cycling a miss on Saturday and go out Sunday instead. If the wind is blowing West-East, I'll try to ride a North-South route as much as possible so I'm not battling headwinds. If the temperatures are high or the sun is strong, I'll go out earlier in the day before it gets too hot, or in the last hour of daylight in the evening before it gets dark and the sun is setting.
Didn't ride today, and won't be riding over the next couple of days heatwave either, except maybe down the pub after dark.

Days like this, it's out in the evening. What could be nicer? A lovely sunset, quiet country lanes, and then later, riding under the night sky.

You're right, no point in getting fried.

Slick

Guru
Hah - we are approaching that in Surrey (and apparently going to beat it tomorrow) <sob>
Too much for a wee guy fae Glesga I'm afraid, we did just over 100k on Monday but just did over 50 today and we arrived at the hotel drained. Hopefully you are keeping cooler in Surrey than I managed here.

icowden

Veteran
@Slick It's 34 degrees here rising to a likely 37-38. I'm dying.

vickster

Legendary Member
I need to cycle about a mile round trip later...not looking forward to it :wacko:

I did similar yesterday and was roasting and it’s hotter today

lane

Veteran
The worst thing for me is too hot. I really struggle especially if very humid. I won't be on the bike today. Don't really like the wind but won't stop me going out and ditto the rain. My preference is for a lovely cool windless day in September or October. Or a nice cool evening after a not too hot summer day.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Spent a happy time trying to re inflate my tubeless tyre, I must say I know a lot more about the ins and outs of this procedure than I did previously. I'm going to reward myself with a steady 20 miles tonight. Don't mind the heat too much, just ride slowly and drink plenty of water.

Top Bottom