How long before a bike is 'Abandoned?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So there's this bike I pass every day on my way to work. It's a lovely old red drop handlebar touring bike with friction shifters on the main bar, leaning unlocked against a bench in a quiet and rather select neighbourhood.

It has been there a week so far, and no-one has touched it.

Bikes get abandoned a lot around the expensive parts of town, not because they're stolen but because a lot of wealthy owners are upgrading to E-Bikes, and don't want to be bothered hauling the old bike off to the dump.

This is a strange place sometimes.

I could write a note asking if I could take it, but I'm afraid that would magically transform the bike into a valuable heirloom with a hefty price tag. On the other hand, I don't want to take someone's pride and joy, or worse, get a call from the boys in blue.

So what would you do? Ignore it? Wait until the tyres have gone down or a wheel is missing? Or just walk down the road as if I owned it anyhow?

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Where you are is there a Police Lost Property that you could drop it off at, and if it's not claimed in the set time you get it?

KneesUp

Guru
I've taken an abandoned bike before. It was outside Tesco with no lock. I rang the police after it had been there a few days and gave them loads of details - location, description etc as well as my details. They said that I could take it, but if it was reported stolen within a time-frame (can't remember - was a week or two) then I'd have to return it, otherwise it was mine. It had a flat tyre so I collected it in my car, but I still felt like a criminal taking it! I rode it for a while but it wasn't up to much so the frame is stashed in the shed now. The wheels are still in use on my OHs bike, and the crankset (with replacement middle ring - the only one that seemed to have been used) is on my bike.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'd take it. If it's been there for more than a week it's most likely, as you've suggested, it's been left there for someone to take it that can give it a good home. I've done this a few times in LBSs when I've noticed a bike has been there and not moved for a few weeks, I normally do it when the shopkeeper is out the back trying to find something I've asked him for so as not to disturb him.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I took a lovely Raleigh bike left behind my office to the police station last year to find the station locked and unattended [small rural one].
I rang 101 and they said just leave it round the back of the station and they'd log it in with my details in the morning!

Duly did to find the window into the duty room wide open and the blinds flapping in the wind- rang 999 to tell them they had a break-in and they were round in 5 minutes... turned out it had just been left open when they locked up! Bike must have been claimed as never heard about it, unless they forgot to register it!

Aren't they the boys in green in Germany?:whistle:

Not in Baden-Württemberg: Policing is a state matter, not federal, and our local police changed to blue a few years back.

I think Bavarias police still use green though.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've got an abandoned bike in my garage, which was my daughters when she was in her teens and before she went to Uni - about 15 years ago.
Do you think I can claim it? Bet as soon as I do, she'll want it back.
But that's what happens i've found. Nobody wants 'something', but as soon as someone does want it then others want it as well.:huh: There's a large plant pot holder around here covered in green mould and looking like it's been there for years. I mentioned it to someone that it'd look nice cleaned up and put in my flat.' "Oh you don't want to be taking that,someone might want it"(er yes me) i was told. So i didn't take it. Ten months later it's still there,covered in green mould. I bet if i took it someone would complain saying they wanted it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'd take it. If it's been there for more than a week it's most likely, as you've suggested, it's been left there for someone to take it that can give it a good home. I've done this a few times in LBSs when I've noticed a bike has been there and not moved for a few weeks, I normally do it when the shopkeeper is out the back trying to find something I've asked him for so as not to disturb him.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom