How long before a bike is 'Abandoned?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Be careful about removing abandoned bikes, you cold be charged with 'theft by finding':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding
That would be the way it works in Scotland. You can't just help yourself to "abandoned" property.
You can't even help yourself to a bike (or anything else) that has been thrown in a skip, as that would be classed as theft here. @SkipdiverJohn would have to BUY his bikes if he lived north of the border!

mick1836

Über Member
Well poo.

There is a lost property, but if the bike isn't claimed they'll auction it off. That defeats the object of the exercise.

ONLY, if the finder isn't know, doesn't want the item they found or didn't claim it in accordance with the Found Property rules.

tyred

Legendary Member
I did put an abandoned Raleigh Pioneer back on the road earlier this year. It had sat chained up outside the library with vandalised wheels all winter. I knew it was a decent frame and in good enough condition so worth of bothering with so I phoned and emailed the boys in blue and the council on several occasions to see what the procedure for claiming it was but I am still waiting for a call back/reply to my emails!

Eventually I asked the library staff who told me to take it with me and I'd be doing them a huge favour as they had been waiting for the past 6 months for the council to come and remove it.

Last month, I spotted 4 bikes (including an '80s 501 framed Raleigh in decent condition) lying on top of a skip and I knocked on the door and politely enquired and offered to buy them but the woman was incredibly rude and refused my offer so I guess they are in landfill now :sad: ).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Be careful about removing abandoned bikes, you cold be charged with 'theft by finding':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding
It would not be theft by finding if the op leaves a note where the bike is and knocked on a couple of doors. It sounds like the bike is abandoned and the op only has to go through the motions.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Last month, I spotted 4 bikes (including an '80s 501 framed Raleigh in decent condition) lying on top of a skip and I knocked on the door and politely enquired and offered to buy them but the woman was incredibly rude and refused my offer so I guess they are in landfill now :sad: ).

As far as I'm concerned, anything dumped in a skip or abandoned on the street is fair game, and if I fancy it. I'll help myself. Couldn't care less about the technicalities of the law, the cops aren't going to be interested in investigating a ratty old bike being pulled out of a bin! So, to answer the OP, just take the thing, and if you don't want to be seen by nosey neighbours etc, do it late at night when there's no-one around.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
As far as I'm concerned, anything dumped in a skip or abandoned on the street is fair game, and if I fancy it. I'll help myself. Couldn't care less about the technicalities of the law, the cops aren't going to be interested in investigating a ratty old bike being pulled out of a bin! So, to answer the OP, just take the thing, and if you don't want to be seen by nosey neighbours etc, do it late at night when there's no-one around.

As far as the law is concerned it's theft.
I know that demolition people take a really dim view of people rifling their skips as there a quite lucrative trade in architectural salvage and other finds.

Of the two I'd be much happier to be arrested.

Top Bottom