how long did it take your legs to stop aching?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
just started commuting fixed, most times on this placement i take the long hilly way round. it only adds up to 38 miles per day. it's very hilly and i'm running 49:20 (69 inch).

my legs are aching like crazy, but in the muscle building way.

how long did it take before yours got back to feeling the way they did on gears? i.e., not painfully sore.

shaun

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I never really noticed any increase in ache when I switched. I'm sure you'll get used to it wiv that monster commute of yours pretty quickly though big fella.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Do you feel any pain while actually riding? If so, on what parts of the ride?

Which parts are hurting?

If not, you are probably just going to have to treat it as a heavy workout and give yourself time to recover between days on the fixie, by using your geared bike, or just alternating between taking it super-easy for a couple of days and riding normally so you don't do yourself a mischief.

Furkz

Über Member
why dont you hit the gym a few times a week and do some ood squat and calf exercises mixed with some core exercises. this will tone you up and make you stronger... in addition try taking 2 protein shake's everyday. one for or before breakfast and one after your last ride. will help with recover and maintain your muscles.

im not a pro for advice but this what i would do... actually i go gym anyways and the days im not riding im doing squats and calf extensions.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
it is just muscle stiffness pain, due to having to put some effort in. just wondered how long others took to adapt. i do live in really hilly country tho.

I used to have a 32 mile commute on a 73 inch,really felt it for the first month

Going to work was ok being mostly downhill, coming home was tough after

doing a full shift and then faced with 800 feet of climbing most of which came

in the last 5 miles,make sure you load yourself up with protein shakes.

It does get easier ;)

Bicycle

I had a similar commute when I first put a fixed-gear together.

I quickly learned to take the fixed bike only when I felt 100% fresh and clear-headed.

I too had achey legs whenever I commuted on the f/g.

I can't say how long it lasted for 2 reasons:

1. I commuted on it only rarely, precisely because of the ache...

2. I left that job (40-mile round trip) and do not cycle so far any more.

3. My legs still ache after riding 40+ miles on the fixed-gear bike. It is a different ache to the one I get with gears and a free-wheel.

I have no explanation for any of the above.

But I know the fixed-gear bike makes me giggle more.... which is priceless.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I had really nasty knee ache/pain for a couple of months once I started resisting the pedals to break, but that is an unusual pressure for the knees to cope with, and my knees are totally pain-free and less crunchy now after persevering.

If you have commuted this route regularly before your legs should get used to it fairly quickly i.e. a couple of weeks. You may find you have to adjust your pace to help; I fly up hills I used to struggle with but crawl down hills I used to rocket down.

But I know the fixed-gear bike makes me giggle more.... which is priceless.

+1
bicycle.gif
(fixie) +
huh.gif
(me) =:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTFU ! :tongue:

Man The Fixie Up !

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
It sounds like you are going to have to beast the climbs (high cadence and momentum will help)... crawling up with loads of torque will destroy your legs/ knees (from experience) so keep the speed up as you climb

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
thats assuming you can get a run up! I have one beast of hill ( IMO ) on my commute and if I don`t get a run up I have to get out the saddle and just go for it, impossible to spin up it in the gear I run but to the OP, your legs will get used to it, my legs are fine no aches or pains you just have to put the miles in plain and simple.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
thats assuming you can get a run up! I have one beast of hill ( IMO ) on my commute and if I don`t get a run up I have to get out the saddle and just go for it, impossible to spin up it in the gear I run but to the OP, your legs will get used to it, my legs are fine no aches or pains you just have to put the miles in plain and simple.
Obviously, Shaun's 12,000 miles of freewheel commuting over the past 18 months haven't done the trick! ;)

D

Deleted member 1258

Been back on fixed just over three and a half years now, I only get aching legs when I do the longer and harder winter club rides on fixed. First ride this year was 68 hard lumpy fixed miles, legs ached when I got back and the following day. normally when I've been out on a Sunday, on fixed or on gears, I try and make Mondays commuting gentle recovery rides, note the try, I don't always succeed in doing that though.

Top Bottom