How long do freehubs last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
When I am coasting/freewheeling, I can hear a slighty worrying rumbling/grating noise from the hub. Occasionally, when I start to pedal I can hear a cracking noise like the pawls are sticking or something. The wheel (shimano r500) is nearly 2 years old and has been used daily in all weather. Is this to be expected after approx 4000 miles?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For Shimano hubs - yes I would say so.
In all weathers as you say then you have down well imo.

Davidc

Guru
If it wears out completely you end up pedalling fast and going nowhere.

Mine seem to last about 5,000 to 10,000 miles and the usual signs of wear are noises and play.

Price depends on quality, but they're not bank-breakers.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
When I am coasting/freewheeling, I can hear a slighty worrying rumbling/grating noise from the hub. Occasionally, when I start to pedal I can hear a cracking noise like the pawls are sticking or something. The wheel (shimano r500) is nearly 2 years old and has been used daily in all weather. Is this to be expected after approx 4000 miles?
no. I've had a Shimano freewheel do 50,000 miles. But when it went, it was fantastically embarrassing.

amaferanga

Veteran
Have you tried removing the freehub and cleaning and greasing it? It could be the bearings in which case if the hub has cartridge bearings then you could replace them for about a tenner. It's not a difficult job.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Have you tried removing the freehub and cleaning and greasing it? It could be the bearings in which case if the hub has cartridge bearings then you could replace them for about a tenner. It's not a difficult job.
Hi
Yes, I've done this job before on a previous hub - I will be doing it again some time soon.

I was wishfully thinking that the hub on the bike at the moment might last a bit longer. From the above posts, though, I think I got my money's worth out of this hub.

Which part of Sheffield are you from? I'm from Bramall Lane.

Davidc

Guru
no. I've had a Shimano freewheel do 50,000 miles. But when it went, it was fantastically embarrassing.
Which type do you use? That's better than I've got out of them.

There's a SRAM one on my spare wheel (not in regular use) which has done about 30k miles and is still OK but it cost more than the (cheapest) Shimano ones I've usually bought.

ohnovino

Large Member
I've got an entry-level freehub that's now coming up to 10,000 miles - it's been both service-free and problem-free. In fact I'm a little annoyed that the rims are starting to wear and it appears easier to just buy new wheels than build new rims onto the existing hubs.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I've got an entry-level freehub that's now coming up to 10,000 miles - it's been both service-free and problem-free. In fact I'm a little annoyed that the rims are starting to wear and it appears easier to just buy new wheels than build new rims onto the existing hubs.
Which hub do you have, please?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Which type do you use? That's better than I've got out of them.
that was a Dura-Ace 7700. It was on its second freehub (with well over 10.000 miles) when I had to retire the wheel because the rims were no longer available.

To be honest I don't expect freehubs to go, ever.

Davidc

Guru
that was a Dura-Ace 7700. It was on its second freehub (with well over 10.000 miles) when I had to retire the wheel because the rims were no longer available.

To be honest I don't expect freehubs to go, ever.

Thanks. I think that may be relevant!

The ones I've had last rather less time than yours are the Deore M510 ones. They're about £20, whereas your Dura-Ace 7700 ones are about £95.

Looking at the mileages we're talking about you're getting better overall value for money. Another example of 'you get what you pay for' I think.

The one on the Dawes may be a better quality one than I've been used to, but with the mileages I do at present it'll be a long time before I wear it out no matter what it is.

ohnovino

Large Member
Which hub do you have, please?
Don't know, sorry.

I got my LBS to swap the rear wheel when I bought the bike (because I wanted an 11T cassette instead of a 14T screw-on freewheel) and I imagine they just supplied the cheapest wheel they had.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I had a Deore hub on a hybrid that lasted ten years, of which three were spent outside in the garden in all weathers. It's now with another CCer and doing nicely.

I think that, as a general rule, if the freehub goes then you chuck the wheel away. The rim and spokes are likely to be getting on a bit, and the cost of the hub plus rebuilding is probably as great as a new wheel

Top Bottom