How long do garden hoses last??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the recent sub-zero spell might have been the beginning of the end for ours. (yes of course one should keep the poor things indoors, warm and well-fed.)

It's become almost impossible to coil-up nicely, and has a kink sharp enough to restrict flow.

What is a good innings? I hate throwing things away, but if it's time... it's time ...

bobzmyunkle

How long do garden hoses last??​

About as long a a piece of string.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Depends on the colour and where they're stored. Get a black one, ideally, and store it out of sunlight and you'll be golden. Green/pale colours in sunlight, not so much.

Alex321

Veteran
We've had garden hoses for over 20 years, that are still usable.

Try running some warm water through it, and coiling it while still warm. That may well refresh it enough to continue being useable for a while.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think the recent sub-zero spell might have been the beginning of the end for ours. (yes of course one should keep the poor things indoors, warm and well-fed.)

It's become almost impossible to coil-up nicely, and has a kink sharp enough to restrict flow.

What is a good innings? I hate throwing things away, but if it's time... it's time ...

It may soften with warmer weather, which will help it roll better and ease out the kink.

Ours has recently celebrated its twelfth birthday.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That has just reminded me that forgot open the tap on the end of the hose in my back yard before that recent freezing spell. I am pretty sure that the hose will be split as a result of my negligence...

We've had garden hoses for over 20 years, that are still usable.

Try running some warm water through it, and coiling it while still warm. That may well refresh it enough to continue being useable for a while.

The trouble there is it's proably only practicable in the upstairs bathroom. The large consequent hassles involved make buying a new one highly attractive ...

I'm still using one I got as a wedding present on 1998. It's been outside all that time. I'm sure yours will be lovely and supple come the summer weather.

Top Bottom