How long do garden hoses last??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite having been full of water and lying uncovered on paving slabs at or below freezing point for over a week, it is not leakin

We've found the plastic fittings to be much less weather/frost resistant; this hose has outlasted several sets!
(I have looked into metal ones, but it was hard to find consensus ... )

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What I am totally confused about is that the hosepipe had a small leak in it from ages ago, which I had expected to get worse, but I couldn't even see that leaking when I checked earlier today! (The hose is not frozen or blocked - I made sure that water was getting through to the business end.)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think the recent sub-zero spell might have been the beginning of the end for ours. (yes of course one should keep the poor things indoors, warm and well-fed.)

It's become almost impossible to coil-up nicely, and has a kink sharp enough to restrict flow.

What is a good innings? I hate throwing things away, but if it's time... it's time ...

Wickes yellow hose. 34 years old. Stored outside. Still works, no leaks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you tubeless?
Ho ho! The tiny split in the hose has probably been closed up by the way it was coiled. I bet that the next time I uncoil it to wash my bike it will start dribbling again.

Have 2 sets of identical hoses, one for front garden and one for back garden. The one in front left in the sun is still supple while the one lying in the shade in the back garden has gone stiff with kinks. Both green. I thought it will be the other way around.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Mine is only 5 or 6 years old but I am ashamed to admit that I abused it in an awful manner, regularly passing it to the next door builders who didn’t cherish it as they should have with it only being a young hose - the result is a scarred (beyond its years) individual, coiled in the corner of the garage that will now only venture out when dark … a lesson to you all!

Have 2 sets of identical hoses, one for front garden and one for back garden. The one in front left in the sun is still supple while the one lying in the shade in the back garden has gone stiff with kinks. Both green. I thought it will be the other way around.

Everyone knows you need to rotate your hoses for maximum longevity surely?

Top Bottom