How long do tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
but wot's the point of "dressing" bike tyres?
Do you do dressage on your bike?
The Tango?

Just so they look fairly new again really. The point of this thread seems to be using tyres to the maximum amount of time and after being exposed to the sun for a long time tyres dull and do look old but these type of treatments make the tyres look new again. Many people like to have their bike looking nice its purely cosmetic though.

Dressing does seem a funny term for restoring a tyres finish admittedly.

Just so they look fairly new again really. The point of this thread seems to be using tyres to the maximum amount of time and after being exposed to the sun for a long time tyres dull and do look old but these type of treatments make the tyres look new again. Many people like to have their bike looking nice its purely cosmetic though.

Dressing does seem a funny term for restoring a tyres finish admittedly.
i have tyres in my garage that go back to the early years of this century - I run tyres until they get repeated punctures.

i have tyres in my garage that go back to the early years of this century - I run tyres until they get repeated punctures.
I've got some old tyres of a similar age that have never been used and they still look new because they are out of the sunlight. The rubber hasn't perished or degraded. I personally feel if the tyre looks good and if you examine it, it still feels strong I can't see the problem.

I have had early failures on a few tyres Schwalbe City Jets and Marathons because the sidewalls were quite weak and thin but generally I use tyres for as long as possible and reverse the front and rear to maximise their lifespan. I.e. need replacing at a similar time.

I had to change the tyre on my ebiek after about 4000 miles - the tread was totally worn flat and they were getting punctures quit eoften as the smallest thorn would penetrate through the rubber
The tyre were also not the greatest at grip but were very predictable on tarmac (it was on the rear wheel) - so I 'might' have developed a habit of going round a small roundabout at the bottom of the road rather faster than was possibly advisable - but it was more fun!
The new tyre has not done several thousand miles and grips better - the roundabout is less fun and I haven;t had a puncture for ages (he said toughing wood!!!)
Really should put the even newer Marathon on the back but never got round to it!

Top Bottom