How long does a sting or bite pain last for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I got stung on my head during today's ride. Well either stung or bit, but whatever it is it's still hurting after 4 hours. I saw this insect heading towards my helmet then in it went. I couldn't stop and take my helmet off in time, It felt like an injection in my head, it was that painful. It's on top of my head at the back so i can't see it that well in the mirror but i can feel something. Should i make my way to the A&E department?:huh:

Depends what it was. Wasps several hours as are bees, horseflies similar but more itchy

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Could be worse, jellyfish tentacles in the face hurt for 18 hours IME. Portuguese man o war put my wife in A&E.

PK99

Legendary Member
Treat it like a weaver fish sting- stick your head in water as hot as you can stand for 15 minutes.

Firestorm

Veteran
A wasp flew into me on a down hill stretch last week , stinging the inside of my bottom lip. It hurt like buggery for 10 minutes and the pain and swelling went in about three hours.
I wouldneed trouble health care professionals unless I was swelling and itchy in places unrelated to the sting
If you start to struggle for breath call 999, otherwise mtfu

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apparently the pain can go on forever and ever.
I know how it feels....

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
If it was a bee, the sting might still be in as it has micro barbs. Wasp is a straight in and out. If the sting is present and therefore a bee, bicarbonate of soda solution (acidic sting). If the likelyhood was a wasp, vinegar is your friend as the sting is alkaline.

As someone has said, horse flies just take a big chunk out of you. Antiseptic is what is needed with them? Helmets seem a bit dangerous?

Top Bottom