how long does it take you to fix a puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
From the moment it happens to being back on your way? Takes me the best part of an hour! I don't bother with patches, I replace the tube. Does it get quicker over the time? Had 3 punctures in the last 6 months....first one took ages but still tales me too long I feel.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not a race, don't worry about it. I've never timed myself but know it can depend on where and when you get the puncture, also the weather.
I have been known to use my camping ground sheet rigged up as a temporary shelter in rainy weather. Sometimes I get my flask out and have a cup of tea and generally take time to appreciate my surroundings while the glue is curing.
There are utube videos available free which should help you, just type 'changing an inner tube on a bicycle' or similar into a Search Engine, there are many to choose from.
You will get faster as time goes by, but could probably speed up your technique by changing a tube a few times in the comfort of your home.
You will improve!:smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cold, wet weather and darkness are a big drag. If you have cold fingers, it's pretty horrid. Also, cold tyres don't behave as you would wish.
I don't think that I've ever fixed a flat in less than about twenty minutes. Usually a fair bit longer, even though I've had loads of practice.

Sharky

Guru
Never really timed myself, but an hour seems a long time. It would depend on how quickly I found where the puncture was. If I can spot the hole, I always try and fix it with a patch at the road side. It only takes an extra 5 mins to stick a patch on and I feel happier knowing I still have a good inner tube in my bag in case I puncture again.
Probably takes 10 to 20 mins in total.

Just needs practice.

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree with @slowmotion taking the tyre off and refitting it with a new tube can be done in 15 mins or less but finding the offending cause of the puncture in the tyre can sometimes take a long time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I agree with @slowmotion taking the tyre off and refitting it with a new tube can be done in 15 mins or less but finding the offending cause of the puncture in the tyre can sometimes take a long time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's really bad for morale if you fix a puncture......and the villain bites you in the bum again within five metres because you didn't locate him.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
An hour sounds a lot, but it is something you don't really want to practise to improve !

I dare say I've taken an hour to do it twice if I pinch puncture when replacing the tube, or have failed to find the thorn / bit of glass in the tyre !

Tube at the roadside, patch at home as you can do the bubble test to find the hole, have light, and it isn't raining.
Carry a puncture kit as well in case you're unlucky - and a double-trouble evening is more likely than two separate punctures for lots of reasons.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I take quite a long time too I think. Never timed it but probably between 20 minutes and half an hour depending on how cold it is.................which reminds me that I should really pop my Durano Plus back on for a bit of extra protection over the next few months.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you want to practice to get faster. Take your front wheel into the house and try.

There is nothing worse than trying to fix a puncture outside when it is freezing.

I often find using 3 tyre levers makes it quicker.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Wow - I must be fast. I am generally 10 minutes max. I use a new tube and CO2 and usually patch the old broken one on the spot so it is curing as I ride on. The only time it takes longer is when I have mudguard rubbing when refitting the wheel, then it can be anything up to an hour and much cursing.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Swap tube on the roadside - patch old one when I get home. Generally no more than 10 minutes to get the job done.

Top Bottom