how long does it take you to fix a puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Less than 10 minutes, practise in the warm and at least 10 times. Takes longer to get the bits out of the wedge than it does to take the wheel out and tyre off.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Does everybody not line up the makers name with the valve ? Or is that my OCD just manifesting itself in YET ANOTHER way.
Me sir, please sir. And draw a little arrow on the inner tube so you know which way round it went. Tis what I was taught. Problem is that sometimes tyres have so much writing on them it's hard to figure out which bit to line up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A Good pump is also key to a good turn a round, this Leyzne is superb. It has a flexible hose, much better than a push on jobbie. Not cheap though.
I think I destroyed my mini pump at the weekend. I couldn't get the tyre up to its relatively low 65psi pressure with it. Is LifeLine Performance CNC Mini Pump OK or is Lezyne's worth the extra money?

On longer rides, I carry a mini floor pump, but they're too long to fit in my favourite bags. Even if the pump has a frame clip, I still need a way to carry it at the destination.

Does everybody not line up the makers name with the valve ? Or is that my OCD just manifesting itself in YET ANOTHER way.
I do that, but I also like a wax crayon to draw on the tube and tyre when I find the culprit, so I don't lose track of them when I look away - and I can't easily look at tube and tyre and my toolkit all at once!

si_c

Guru
Depends, at home with a cup of tea and some biscuits, it takes about 20 minutes. Longer if it's hobnobs as the dunking needs more attention.

On the side of the road, last time took me half an hour, but it was dark, I hadn't put my park levers back in the saddle bag, so had to use the ones on my multitool which aren't as good. I was also not too far from home so pumped up the tyre rather than use a CO2 inflator. The latter can take 5 mins off a puncture repair time for me. I'm going to get some folding tyres at some point, as the wire bead on the rubinos is quite hard to get over the rim, which makes for chafed fingers and swearing.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I think I destroyed my mini pump at the weekend. I couldn't get the tyre up to its relatively low 65psi pressure with it. Is LifeLine Performance CNC Mini Pump OK or is Lezyne's worth the extra money?

On longer rides, I carry a mini floor pump, but they're too long to fit in my favourite bags. Even if the pump has a frame clip, I still need a way to carry it at the destination.

I do that, but I also like a wax crayon to draw on the tube and tyre when I find the culprit, so I don't lose track of them when I look away - and I can't easily look at tube and tyre and my toolkit all at once!

The leyzne is bullet proof, and so much less fiddle.

si_c

Guru

I'd go with the Lezyne, if for no other reason than the hose, wouldn't get a mini pump without one now.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
About 20 minutes in optimal conditions (not dark, not raining etc.) If I'm on the commute I'm likely to pump it up again and see if it will get me home, where I can repair more easily.

Edit: Forgot to say, I generally fit a spare tube, and patch the holed one when I get home.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Takes me about an hour with Marathon+ tyres :cursing:
I've actually only ever had a pinch flat on one, entirely my fault.
Other, softer mb kind of tyres, about 20 min and no levers :becool:
Have not had the occasion to change a road inner, they look easy to fit compared to my tank like ones.
@Spoked Wheels I suggest you go for Marathon Originals, much cheaper, a bit lighter, same puncture protection.

Takes me about an hour with Marathon+ tyres :cursing:
I've actually only ever had a pinch flat on one, entirely my fault.
Other, softer mb kind of tyres, about 20 min and no levers :becool:
Have not had the occasion to change a road inner, they look easy to fit compared to my tank like ones.
@Spoked Wheels I suggest you go for Marathon Originals, much cheaper, a bit lighter, same puncture protection.
Marathon are the tyres of the devil. My fingers are cringing just thinking about it :evil:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
About 10 mins if the cause is obvious. I replace the tube. If I can't find what caused it but suspect it's still there, I might patch the tube and replace it the same way on the basis that a patch, being thicker, will take longer to wear through.

I've not had a puncture this year, though. I even start to worry that I'll have lost the skill.

It's technique, lads and lasses. Practice! I recommend .......

taking 3 kids on a 250 mile camping/cycling tour. Struggling up the steepest bits of the Pennine Bridleway. Yup, I can get a puncture on a hybrid or a MTB repaired in well under 10 minutes.

Roadie tyres . ummmmmmmmmmmmmm; yeeeeeeees; minimum 20 minutes. Damnit, it's quicker walking the beast home!

Top Bottom