how long does it take you to fix a puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Roadie tyres . ummmmmmmmmmmmmm; yeeeeeeees; minimum 20 minutes. Damnit, it's quicker walking the beast home!
Really? I would have thought a skinny tyre is easier.
Haven't had the chance to change a skinny tube yet, only big tank like ones :laugh:

adamangler

Veteran
5 mins or less to change a tube, fixing a puncture wouldnt happen at the roadside and who cares how long it takes at home

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It took four of us 45 minutes to fix a puncture on my bike a couple of weeks ago.

So that's three (man)hours, which should take some beating.

It was 7am and we decided to fix it with the wheel in situ because the bike has a hub gear which makes wheel removal a fiddle.

The lit underpass we used looked a good idea, but it's a wind tunnel, so what with that and traffic noise, it took an age to find the tiny nick in the tube.

I found the tiny shard of glass in the tyre, and one of my companions applied a Park self-adhesive patch to the tube, which is still holding.

Marathon Supreme tyre, which came off and went on by hand.

So in many respects, the job went well.

Makes me wonder where the time went.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4021636, member: 9609"]that's one I have never heard of before - as for your OCD, do you check other people have aligned there's correctly, and tell them LOL[/QUOTE]

I do it and most people I know do it also...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4021643, member: 9609"]seriously ?
this must be a wind up.. lol[/QUOTE]

Not at all.
It makes things easier to find out where a puncture is. And.. it looks better :okay:

VanNicSS.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
10 minutes at the most. Even checked it one day. That includes the faff you have with a fixed gear. From stopping, emptying panniers and on the go.

I use gas on the commute as it saves time.

GuyBoden

Guru
Like most, I never fix punctures at the roadside, I carry three tubes in my saddle bag, levers and a good long frame pump, like others have said, the time depends on finding the cause of the puncture.

Doing long(ish) tours when I was young taught me to have multiple tubes in my bag for all occasions.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't repair at the roadside. I'll do that later when I can apply the glue then go make a cuppa then stick the patch on when the glue is ready.

10 minutes at most, including swearing, to change a tube.
Unless the lock ring won't come off the valve as it did on sunday night and I had to walk home.

Now there's a new check for the cleaning routine!

GuyBoden

Guru
10 minutes at most, including swearing, to change a tube.
Unless the lock ring won't come off the valve as it did on sunday night and I had to walk home.

Now there's a new check for the cleaning routine!

I'm wondering if valve lock rings are really needed?

I got tubes that have them, but I've also got some that don't.

Top Bottom