how long does it take you to fix a puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hardly ever change a tube. It's actually more hassle, more often than not, because unlike fixing a puncture it requires removing the wheel, which on a fixie with no QR is a hassle you avoid if possible. Usually I can locate the hole fairly quickly - either by the shard sticking in the tyre, or by part-inflating and listening carefully all around the rim till I hear hiss - then pop off a foot or so of tyre, pull out a foot or so of tube, part-inflate, fix the puncture, feel around inside the tyre and remove anything which didn't ought to be there, then push the tube back in, followed by the tyre, then re-inflate fully. On a good day, five minutes or less, seldom more than 10.

si_c

Guru
Nah, surely norvern monkeys..
Never phoned my Mum crying. Always phone my Dad :tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4021752, member: 9609"]I would have thought riding about on a flat would just extend the retro experience of no gears or freewheel. In fact, you could just do away with the wheels altogether[/QUOTE]
Did see someone riding on a rim one time.... I didn't think it was worth offering him a repair kit or spare tube....:biggrin:
You could hear him coming from miles away!

I'm wondering if valve lock rings are really needed?

I got tubes that have them, but I've also got some that don't.

Their only use for me is due to my track pump being a press fit so the blighter doesn't retreat so much when it sees the pump coming.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Hardly ever change a tube. It's actually more hassle, more often than not, because unlike fixing a puncture it requires removing the wheel, which on a fixie with no QR is a hassle you avoid if possible. Usually I can locate the hole fairly quickly - either by the shard sticking in the tyre, or by part-inflating and listening carefully all around the rim till I hear hiss - then pop off a foot or so of tyre, pull out a foot or so of tube, part-inflate, fix the puncture, feel around inside the tyre and remove anything which didn't ought to be there, then push the tube back in, followed by the tyre, then re-inflate fully. On a good day, five minutes or less, seldom more than 10.

That's some going ! Fair play.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Lifeline has a hose too and what looks like a similar head to some Truflow pumps I've liked.

I think the leaders are the Lezyne and th Topeak Roadmorph. Both really good. Some prefer one, some prefer the other. I have the Roadmorph and I can easily get 110psi repairing a puncture. Miles better than the old minipump I used to use. The only downside is the size. It will fit in a back pocket....just. But I prefer to clip it to the frame and then stick it in the pocket when I go in a café

On the subject of punctures, I'm usually about 10 minutes including getting back to full pressure. I always use one plastic tyre lever (Decathlon I think). Getting the tyre back on with the lever makes life much easier. Despite people throwing their hands up in horror I've never had a problem. After refitting the tyre I always check thoroughly that the tube isn't pinched. So far so good

Reactions: mjr

Snugglebum

Regular
My first flat took me about an hour in the office complete with YouTube tutorial, 1 Developer, 2 other Business Analysts, input from the Head of Transformation all the while wailing 'Don't help me until I get totally stuck or I'll never learn!!!'

And then about half an hour in the field the second time.

Which was a week later

I'm trying to ride less like a maniac now... ;-)

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Got plenty of practice on Sunday, haven't had any p'tures for months (actually I couldn't recall the last one), then three came along at once :-( The first two were quick changes of tubes the last one was going to have to be a longer patch job and then the heavens opened :rain:So I put the tyre back on and looked for shelter to patch it in the dry. Luckily just before the start of my long walk some mates appeared and I was able to borrow a third tube and leave the patches in the bag :-)

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Takes me about an hour with Marathon+ tyres :cursing:
I've actually only ever had a pinch flat on one, entirely my fault.
Other, softer mb kind of tyres, about 20 min and no levers :becool:
Have not had the occasion to change a road inner, they look easy to fit compared to my tank like ones.
@Spoked Wheels I suggest you go for Marathon Originals, much cheaper, a bit lighter, same puncture protection.

I actually went for the Marathon Plus 25c.
Today I had my first proper ride and I cannot be more pleased with the Marathon Plus for a winter tyre.

I prepared by watching a couple of videos on YouTube on how to to fit Marathon Plus tyres. I used the same technique plus talcum powder which is something I always do.

I surprised myself how straightforward it turned out. Undoubtedly the tyres are stiffer than anything I've seen before and it was harder to get started with the second bead. Using a couple of straps is the key I think.
I recorded a video to help me learn from my mistakes.
I took me about 20 minutes to fit one tyre with a new tube.

Hopefully these tyres will be every bit as puncture proof as everybody says and the chances of having to fix a puncture in the cold rain are much less

mpre53

Regular
I just swapped out my worn back tire for one in better shape. The whole process took 7 minutes, and that included using a floor pump to inflate the tube to 115 psi.

Probably would have taken 5 minutes with CO2.

The longest part of the process, for me, with a roadside puncture, is inspecting the tire for what caused the flat. In the case of just swapping tires, no need for it.

You get better at it, the more you do it.

speccy1

Depends on several things

How bad/cold the weather is
If I am within a couple of miles of home I`ll walk, and then repair the puncture in the comfort of my own garage
Whether I am in a good mood or not................
How knackered I am
Whether anybody is with me....an extra pair of hands always speed things up

Usually 10-20 mins, never had one on gatorskins though, well not a puncture due to the tyre being punctured, a couple of pinch punctures on the rear.

Top Bottom