How long does your cable's last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Just more curious than anything, but how long do your cable's last (eg brake / gear cable's)
I've been using Wilkos cable's and I've been quite impressed by there longevity.
The rear derailleur cable finally gave up today at around 20,000 miles.It was badly frayed and on it's last few strands were it enters the brake lever.
I wish my car was as reliable and cheap to run as my bike

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think I have ever changed the cables on my best bike, which I have been riding for nearly 20 years.

I have replaced snapped or frayed cables on a couple of other bikes after a lot of use.

Generally, not an issue.

Tyres and brake blocks are the things that need replacing fairly frequently. I have also worn a few wheel rims out from braking on steep descents in winter with salt and grit on the rims. Note to self - get disk-braked CX bike ready for next winter!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
50,000 miles and still going on road bike. Original on recumbent as well but that is newer on less miles so far. I use bar end shifters. In days of STIs on road bike I’d need to replace cables about every 10,000 miles.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got a Trek that's about 14 years old and that still has the original cables. (Trigger shift gear changers and straight linear pull brakes, which probably helps seeing as there's no extreme angles or bends).

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I dont think I've ever changed a cable on any of my bikes and they all have thousands of miles under them collectively.
Combination of mtb and road bikes, I've worn wheelsets/brake pads and even handlebars out before cables.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Confess surprise at others' comments on their cables' longevity. Perhaps those special bikes are not ridden much :biggrin:
@ColinJ's 'best bike' is for sunny high days and holidays: low mileage.
Thousands of speedfreak miles spread over several bikes is 'not many miles per cable'.
Ming - are you seriously saying that the rear gear cable on your upright has not been changed in 50k?
As far as integrity is concerned, brake cables seem to last forever. Gear cables rather less depending on how many times they have needed adjustment, because that slowly damages where they are clamped (FD cable has most tension).
And STIs with under bartape cable routing are known for early fatigue inside the STI. Since this is invisible, the prudent rider replaces them as scheduled preventative maintenance.
Gear cables will operate better if the outer is changed after (say) 10k, in the same way. The rear inner cable can be swapped to (reused on) the front, of course.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Confess surprise at others' comments on their cables' longevity. Perhaps those special bikes are not ridden much :biggrin:
@ColinJ's 'best bike' is for sunny high days and holidays: low mileage.
Not much by some standards, but I would be surprised if I had ridden less than (say) 30,000 km on that bike with those cables. It IS generally a 'fair weather bike'.

I really have not bought many cables over the years.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@Ajax Bay yup not much by some standards but more than enough to offer an opinion.
The op states 20000 miles before a replacement which my bikes roughly have collectively on them.
As with anything numerous factors will play a part. Ill report back when I've another 20000 miles on my bikes, see you again in another 10 years :laugh:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Gear cables break because of being bent back and forth as the cable wraps and unwraps round the shifter barrel, and lifespan is more related to the number of shifts than to miles or time.

So your cables last longer if you have a habit of getting out of the saddle and stomping for a few seconds, rather than changing down and back up every time there's a red traffic light or such.
Similarly, STIs use cables quicker than bar end or down tube shifters because they encourage frequent shifting. Twistgrips probably last longest of all as the barrel is of a much greater diameter.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve had one cable break at the shifter which was replaced. Apart from that I’ve only ever replaced cables, inners & outers, when shifting and to some extent braking is not quite as slick or smooth. They can get gunked up a bit especially near the rear derailleur.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If they start to fray I replace them. This will be my own fault, either not noticing that an end cap has come off or heavy handed over tightening of pinch bolts.

Otherwise I don't replace cables for their own sake but might replace them (or get them replaced by the LBS) when doing other work.

As far as integrity is concerned, brake cables seem to last forever. Gear cables rather less depending on how many times they have needed adjustment, because that slowly damages where they are clamped (FD cable has most tension).
Agree totally - don't ever remember a brake cable breaking or fraying beyond use though one maybe has - in fact once had two brake cables that had been in so long that they burst through the outer with certain signs of rust - wonder if they may have been galvanised. Have mainly replaced now and again when I thought it good idea to replace outers.

Yep - gear cables a pig because of flexing at the end/fraying - I try to avoid ever having to slacken gear cables - tend to find that if I do I've near buggered them - that's why I bought a great big workshop box of the things. Still, better than electric jiggery pokery.

By the if anyone has tips for sorting the ends of gear cables - feel free to advise - the slightest bit of unwinding at the ends, even with chopping off if can be done (often next to nowt to chop of course as they have to be cut short to avoid the ends catching on stuff) and it can be near impossible to get one of those crush-on caps on the end.

Top Bottom