How long does your cable's last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Many years ago I didn't have any end caps so I tried putting some solder on but the solder wouldn't take. I assumed this was due to the presence of some lubricant or something on the cable or just my general incompetence/wrong solder etc.

I don't know what sort of cable it was and I never repeated the experiment. I just bought some end caps.

keithmac

Guru
A decent sharp set of cable cutters, side cutters will give a clean fray free end.

Same with everything, you get what you pay for. Bludgeoning it with blunt or soft cutters will end in a poor cut.

Can imagine stainless will be quite hard to get solder to take to it.

A decent sharp set of cable cutters, side cutters will give a clean fray free end.

Same with everything, you get what you pay for. Bludgeoning it with blunt or soft cutters will end in a poor cut.

Can imagine stainless will be quite hard to get solder to take to it.
you do sometimes get fraying anyway in use - my cutters are Park - but I still sometimes get fraying - and those crushable caps are so tight even before crushed that it can be a right old fag/sometimes impossible to get a single stray strand inside. With gear cables there's also often sod all to play with (ie doing another cut) as once installed the cables usually have to be cut with little spare beyond the clamp point to avoid intererference.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
any shifters post "flightdeck" washing lines are hard on cables so need doing more regularly to avoid issues. bar end, downtube etc are much more gentle as it doesn't have that harsh kink coming out of the sifter. Brake cable also take a nicer line although i did have one fray a bit at an entry to an internal run.

if you are changing bar tape, its good practice to do the cables as sods law one will go immediately after putting new tape on.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
agh - i did fear complications - any comment on this @classic33 ?

i have sometimes cut a bit off a length of hard plastic tubing I have (sort of like brake outer but with no metal sheathing) and heated it to shrink/burn it on. That actually has worked pretty well the odd time I have done it.
Use a solder with a high tin content.
And you'll not be placing any real weight on the joint in use.

Wobblers

Euthermic
you do sometimes get fraying anyway in use - my cutters are Park - but I still sometimes get fraying - and those crushable caps are so tight even before crushed that it can be a right old fag/sometimes impossible to get a single stray strand inside. With gear cables there's also often sod all to play with (ie doing another cut) as once installed the cables usually have to be cut with little spare beyond the clamp point to avoid intererference.

I've wrapped PVC electrician's tape round cut cable ends to stop them fraying before now. Despite certain disparaging comments from @theclaud, it actually works. The trick is to do it before the wire strands start to unravel.

I've wrapped PVC electrician's tape round cut cable ends to stop them fraying before now. Despite certain disparaging comments from @theclaud, it actually works. The trick is to do it before the wire strands start to unravel.
do you melt the tape on in some way?
I wouldn't bother too much about the claud's comments on bike maintenance/life/politics/gender politics/cookery/animal husbandy/carpentry whatever though anyway.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Just a random idea after reading some of the suggestions,but what about just applying a few drops of super glue on the cable ends to stop them fraying 🤔

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Over 30 years on the Dura Ace cabled road bike (gear cables) - the cables were a bit special and not seen anything like it since (high thread count, but very fine stainless cables). It's had a set or so of brake cables though.

Loads of cables on other bikes. FS MTB bike has had one set of gear cables renewed - it's 5 years old.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hi,
Just more curious than anything, but how long do your cable's last (eg brake / gear cable's)
I've been using Wilkos cable's and I've been quite impressed by there longevity.
The rear derailleur cable finally gave up today at around 20,000 miles.It was badly frayed and on it's last few strands were it enters the brake lever.
I wish my car was as reliable and cheap to run as my bike
Wilko's cables here too and they've been on so long I 've no idea how long they've been on for... a good 12 years at a guess

Top Bottom