How long is it safe to drag down lungfuls of cold air?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I was cycling up Bishop's Hill in Ipswich this evening, and it was blinking cold. I've got myself quite fit with this cycling malarkey, but I was still breathing deep when I get to the top. How cold does it need to be before I should consider some sort of protection - if any?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Protection?

Ah, I forgot. I'm sitting in front of a computer. I have access to Google. I have answered my own question. :whistle:

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-the-sports-doc/why-breathing-cold-air-hurts
Yup, and they are talking about temperatures much lower than we experience.

Cold, dry air can trouble asthma (as the article says). If you are suffering - wheezing, coughing, itching behind your breast bone, you might want to chat to your doctor. An inhaler may be useful.

pawl

Legendary Member
Yup, and they are talking about temperatures much lower than we experience.

Cold, dry air can trouble asthma (as the article says). If you are suffering - wheezing, coughing, itching behind your breast bone, you might want to chat to your doctor. An inhaler may be useful.

When I pull the buff over my mouth on cold weather my glasses steam up

PenttitheFinn

I was cycling up Bishop's Hill in Ipswich this evening, and it was blinking cold. I've got myself quite fit with this cycling malarkey, but I was still breathing deep when I get to the top. How cold does it need to be before I should consider some sort of protection - if any?
I like the idea of covering my face, but the amount of mucus I produce would not make that possible at any temperature, and it gets worse on hills, although I am not sure whether most of the country would consider Bishops Hill to be anything other than a minor inconvenience :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
In a related topic, I read somewhere you shouldn't shovel snow once you hit 50 years of age. The cold causes blood vessels to constrict just at the moment the heart starts to demand more flow, and you risk karking it as a result.

Top Bottom