How long on a trainer??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Evening all:biggrin:

Just got my hands on a turbo trainer (as it`s always bloody raining and cold down here!!). I`ve never used one before and it did feel a bit odd to start with, but I was quite happy to train for an hour at different speeds / resistances, but I was just wondering how long other people train for on them, just to give me an idea??

Many thanks:thumbsup::smile:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
speccy1 said:
Evening all:biggrin:

but I was quite happy to train for an hour..

Christ almighty!

I'm wanting off after ten minutes.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I generally do about 45 minutes at a time, I go out if I can but I use the turbo a bit during February and early March.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Ok, this was a money saving idea so I could do away with the gym and pocket 30 quid a month:smile: I hope I don`t get bored with it:wacko::smile:!!

jasonmccullum

Über Member
i downloaded a number of spinveral workouts off the net, they vary from 40 minsa to 3 hours... a great way to get a real workout,

turn off the sound and play some music though.. their soundtracks are not great

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

3 hours bloody hell!!

I agree with the music, I`ve got to have the right stuff on and have it blaring - I`ll pedal like a maniac then;)

Will have a look online though, cheers

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I find the first 10 to 15 minutes absolute misery... then somehow the red-mist kicks in and I'm good for up to 1 hour max. Anything longer strikes me as obsessive!

Good soundtrack is essential.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I agree!! I lost track of how many times I looked at the clock on the cooker initially, but I did get into it and the time went pretty quickly!!

I definitely need to invest in a fan though:laugh::biggrin:

Hont

Guru
Can't believe anyone does 3 hours! I use my mainly in winter when I can't get out, but it is mindnumbing - I've never done more than 90 minutes.

I have a TV in the same room and this helps, but you can't really concentrate too well if you're doing intervals.

+1 for a fan, even with one I sweat like I'm in a sauna.

Norm

Not exactly the same but following on from...
Hont said:
+1 for a fan, even with one I sweat like I'm in a sauna.
I spent 20 minutes on the rower last night. When I started, it said that the humidity was 33%, that was over 50% by time I was done. The room temperature went up by 5 degrees as well. ;)

jimboalee

The purpose of a Turbo trainer is,, well,, training on.

What is the purpose of training? Well,, to improve the cardiovascular system.

This is done by forcing the body systems to work harder than they did during the last session.

An hour on the turbo trainer at an intensity higher than experienced before is some going, nigh, not possible.

You will of course need to warm up properly, but after that, a few minutes of 95 – 100% HR effort ( until you can't pedal any longer ) will be sufficient to tell your muscles, heart and circulatory system it's time to grow up.

Slow down to get your breath and HR back and repeat if you wish, but I bet you won't last as long as the first bash.

30 minute session at the most.

RedBike

I used to have the Tacx i-magic. I used to really enjoy racing against myself or riding the real life videos. I was never in the slightest bit bored.

However, I very rarely spent more than 2hrs on it because after just 60mins mins my legs would be toast and there'd be this huge puddle on the floor.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

RedBike said:
I used to have the Tacx i-magic. I used to really enjoy racing against myself or riding the real life videos. I was never in the slightest bit bored.

However, I very rarely spent more than 2hrs on it because after just 60mins mins my legs would be toast and there'd be this huge puddle on the floor.

Isn`t it called multi tasking?? We get to keep fit and wash the floor at the same time!!:rofl::laugh:

Top Bottom