How long should a chain last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
I have about 2000 miles on my 9s Campag Record chain at the moment. Was thinking during the Dun Run that it could do with changing - not measured it either.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
My current KMC Silver SL is at apx 3100 miles (half a years worth) and is still in good condition. I strip, clean and re-lube the whole chainset once a month and wipe clean the chain more often.

I usually get to about 18 months on a chain and chain set and then replace the whole lot, but since the last bloody expensive upgrade to Dura-Ace, am not letting that happen and replacing the chain this month.

Stretch is currently minimal... Surprisingly! Then again, as others will vouch, I dont attack hills and tend to spin fairly well..

gbb

Legendary Member
Plax said:
Has anyone ever actually changed a jockey wheel? Do they not wear out as fast as a cassette?

Ironically, no i dont think they do, despite only being made of nylon (or similar)...because they're on the unloaded side of the chain. All the pressure and tensions at the top of the chain.
The bottom is effectively just sitting there.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
numbnuts said:
I've done 18,000+ miles and they are still going round, I do take them out and clean them once a month.
You don't. Tell me you don't. You're just kidding, right? I was already reeling from 'I strip, clean and re-lube the whole chainset once a month', but this is bonkers.

sammollyrosypads

my chain has lasted 4500 to date and is fine (hop e it gets me to blackpool on sunday hey!) but i keep it clean and lubricated so that helps.keep cycling!

Top Bottom