How long should an XT hub last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Indeed HOPE as I mentioned above, but they are considerably more expensive than XT say x3. I've always fancied HOPE hubs, the HOPE 3 hub looks good, but I always have two hopes one of whom is called Bob. DT 240 or 340 hubs about x4-5 the cost of XT or for the really top notch stuff the cost of a decent touring bike with XT hubs.

I would just buy a new freehub body for your XT hub. This will be the cheapest and best option IMHO. They are fairly easy to swap over. I think CRC or JE James do them for a reasonable price. Also check out the hub bearings, remove, clean and re-pack with grease if necessary.

I use XT hubs on my tourer - I retired the first one after 18000ks when the rear rim split - still in good nick - the second has 20000ks on it and is if anything in better nick than the first one.

mercurykev

Are the hubs M770s Hub ? I had the free hub fail on one of mine after less that 2000 miles. These hubs seem to be a lot less reliable than the previous version and this looks to be a bit of a common problem, at least according to cycling forums:

no1

No2

No3

tanvir

It is a touring bike which is predominantly ridden on roads and cycle tracks. I tend to tour in hilly areas with a couple of full panniers so wondered whether that causes more wear on the hub?

My previous bike had a an old-style freewheel that was combined with the sprockets, and I only once ever had that fail after many years use.

While I was surprised that the XT hub did not last longer, my main reason for posting is to get a sense of how long it should last so it doesn't fail again while I am on tour.

I never use a jet washer - I always handwash.

Is the failed hub is M770/775 or M760/M765 series? Freehubs are of different design.

Top Bottom