How long should I wait

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
As some people on here may know I was hit by a car and broken my collar bone, the AC joint to be more accurate. That was on 12th October, I have an operation for 19th November, but at the moment I a pretty much pain free and feel I may not even need
the op. How long should I wait to get back on the bike and should I still go through with the op?

EDIT: Disregard the pain free part, just tried to touch the opposite shoulder with the damaged arm and felt the bone move.

So, I will rephrase my question, how long after the op should I wait to get back riding, all this walking and public transport is really getting me down, I love cycling.

gavintc

Guru
I left it a couple of months and then went out on my road bike. It was too early as I found the road vibration just too much and it was causing a degree of pain. I think you can judge the point, simply by the pain in the shoulder.

henshaw11

IIRC I was cycling to see the physio mebbe 3 weeks after breaking mine - must admit I dunno how bad the break was, definitely couldn't support my shoulder/arm unaided for the first few weeks, but wasn't that painful - thought I'd just wrenched the ligaments. Certainly didn't feel it moving as such - tho' I was trying to keep it well supported - so mebbe just fractured. By comparison a mate bust his, after 5 months or so he had to get it screwed back together 'cos it wasn't healing...and managed to put his back out getting on/off a stationary trainer in the meantime :sad:

D'yer think it's likely to get xrayed again before the op ?

Top Bottom