How long should Road tyres stay properly inflated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I have a road Cycle with 700 x 25C tires. I pump them up to 95 PSI, but after a week with about 50 miles on them the PSI has dropped to about 75 PSI or less. Can someone tell me if this is normal because it happens in both tyres front and back. If it isn't normal then what could be causing this to happen? They are slick Giant tyres that came with the Cycle.. I've tried tightening the values, but the same thing happens. Thank you!

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe you have leaky valves but it's not out of the ordinary. It's due to the tubes not the tyres presumably

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It does sound like a slightly bigger drop in pressure than I would expect, but it's nothing to worry about.

I'd only be concerned if the tyres were losing that much pressure over the course of a single ride.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I check mine every ride.
Tubes just lose air.

Tubeless tyres stay up a lot longer but not the best idea with 100 + psi.
You tend to get covered in sealant !!
It doesn't wash out, so ruins clothing , especially lovely alpinstars expensive tops :banghead:

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Do I have to fully deflate the Presta valves before I inflate them again? They won't inflate until I've fully deflated them for some reason?

Also, should I pump them up each time so that they stay at 95 PSI, which is the recommended PSI? Cheers!

Last edited:
Do I have to fully deflate the Presta valves before I inflate them again? They won't inflate until I've fully deflated them for some reason?
No. Unscrew the valve and then give it a push to let some air out before you put the pump on. Some valves require a bit of fiddling with how far they are unscrewed or how the pump is seated. When they get too fiddly, replace the tube.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Should I try to keep the tyre inflated at the recommended 95 PSI at all times, or let it drop to something like 75 PSI before inflating the tyre again? Cheers!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Should I try to keep the tyre inflated at the recommended 95 PSI at all times, or let it drop to something like 75 PSI before inflating the tyre again? Cheers!

You'll get the best performance and longevity from your tyres when they're the 'correct' pressure, so it's worth topping them up before every ride (not that I always bother with this myself).

If you let tyre pressure get too low, it can lead to damage and premature wear, but 75psi should be fine for a 25mm tyre.

When you're not riding your bike, low tyre pressure is not a cause for concern.

By the way, where are you getting your recommended 95psi from? You might find you benefit from lower pressure anyway, depending on your weight.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Spesh tubes on 25mm tyres. When I pump tyres to minimum recommended 90psi, I won't go over two days without checking.

Or

At start of week I'll pump to max 120psi the leave tyres alone until end of week.

Skinny hi psi tyres always lose air faster than wider low psi tyres. I check my MTB tyres once per month for example (but not suggesting such a long period should elapse before checking).

OP
OP
M

MBosh

@smutchin - Just what Halfords recommended for this tyre, which actually states 120 PSI. What would you recommend? I did try putting 120 PSI in but the Joe Blow pump was just bouncing back up with no air going in. 100 PSI was about as much as I could get in. Cheers!

Is it worth getting better inner tubes because I'm using Halfords own?

Last edited:
I have a road Cycle with 700 x 25C tires. I pump them up to 95 PSI, but after a week with about 50 miles on them the PSI has dropped to about 75 PSI or less. Can someone tell me if this is normal because it happens in both tyres front and back. If it isn't normal then what could be causing this to happen? They are slick Giant tyres that came with the Cycle.. I've tried tightening the values, but the same thing happens. Thank you!
Don't forget outside air pressure and temperature has dramatic effect on your tyre pressure. That why daily checks of tyre pressure are advised in all manuals before your first ride. I usually just feel firmness of the tyre, and look down at the bulging during a ride in between checks to get a ball park estimate of pressure. I don't need to ride bang on my ideal pressure, but if I were riding at the upper or lower limit of the tyre's capability I might be more inclined to check often too.

rrarider

Veteran
I also find that skinny tyres lose pressure faster than wider ones. On the other hand, I remember inflating a tyre to maximum pressure early in the morning and leaving the bike parked in the cycle rack with a tin roof at work. By mid afternoon in weather like today's, the tube exploded in the heat.

Top Bottom