How long should tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knitgirl

This is probably one of those questions that don't have a precise answer. I bought my lovely 2009 Globe Vienna 2 about a year and a half ago and it still has the orginal tyres on.The lovley man at my lbs replaced the brake pads a couple of months ago and Evans very kindly relieved me of quite a lot of money for replacing the chain and cassette or was it the chainring when I first bought it. I'm now thinking it's time to change the tyres. Any help out there?

Cheshire Celt

Legend
I would suppose its like car tyres Depends on how many miles they have done and if they have been looked after

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would say it depends on how many miles you have done on the tyres, more so than the time you have had them. Some are designed more for durability, while others are faster / lighter.

I tend to get perhaps 2000 miles out of a set of average road tyres. I would expect your Globe to be shod with something fairly robust. Roughly how far have you been on the bike, in the 18 months?

Brommyboy

Über Member
I use marathons on my touring bike and usually get about 8000 miles, despite carrying camping gear some of the time. My Brommy does much less, about 3500-5000 but have to go round more times per mile. Thin tyres will wear out quicker, and also the heavier you are , the quicker you can expect them to wear.

OP
OP
K

knitgirl

Thanks for your thoughts. Not sure exactly how many miles I've done in the last 18 months as I accidentally reset my cycle computer a month ago and didn't take any note of any measurments from the previous year but not a lot in comaprison to many of you out there. Probably about 200 - 300 miles. I liked the look of the Schwalbe Land Cruisers and they have had good reviews on here. Found a pair on Ebay for £23 have ordered a pair to treat my bike. Thanks again all. ^_^

bit late but...
My MTB did around 1,500 miles before the tyres for worn through (half of that touring with tent etc, the other half commuting/pleasure).
My OH's MTB didn't get 1,000 miles out of it before touring killed it (somehow getting 3 very deep slashes in the side wall, but we were having daily punctures from it before that)

My touring bike did 9,000 miles before we replaced the rear tyre (Schwalbe Marathon Extremes) because it was the last opportunity to get decent ones before heading off into the middle east and beyond... the front is still on the bike at 9,250 miles (dog attack terminated the tour)... the rear tyre probably only had another couple of thousand miles left in it before it was replaced.
On his touring bike (Schwalbe Marathon Extremes), well the first rear one died at 4,500 miles with a blow out (side wall failed).
the front was replaced at around 6,500 miles and kept as a spare... still has probably 2,000 miles in it.

Now we wait to see what the road bikes get from their factory tyres before changing them...

Col5632

Guru
My bike still has the original front tyre on it and its done about 2500-3000 miles, back tyre i changed last september and about 1800 miles on it still has plently of live left in it ^_^

cabby

Regular
When the back tyre is looking near done just swap it with the front . same with a car except the front tyre wears first on a car lol.

david k

Hi
This is probably one of those questions that don't have a precise answer. I bought my lovely 2009 Globe Vienna 2 about a year and a half ago and it still has the orginal tyres on.The lovley man at my lbs replaced the brake pads a couple of months ago and Evans very kindly relieved me of quite a lot of money for replacing the chain and cassette or was it the chainring when I first bought it. I'm now thinking it's time to change the tyres. Any help out there?
funnily enough i was listening to a podcase and this was spoke about in detail

an so called expert said 1500mile as a guide but it depends on the type of riding, they type of tyre and how its ridden

When the back tyre is looking near done just swap it with the front . same with a car except the front tyre wears first on a car lol.

Don't swap tyres - you want the best tyre on the front, for obvious reasons. By all means switch the front to the back, but then fit a new tyre on the front.

Car tyres - the fronts will only wear first if the car is front wheel drive, obviously...

Top Bottom