how long should your wheel spin for if you pick up bike and spin wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Sometimes i think i get a bit of resistance on the front wheel. Had a puncture last week and wondered if i put the wheel back on in a dead central position. If i lift up the bike and spin the wheel it goes for 5-10 seconds so maybe nothing. Does that sound right? Maybe the bit that the wheel goes through needs cleaning or some parts that run close to the wheel need a clean. The only maintenance i do is chain lube and pump tyres and been commuting on it for six months now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you not checked the brakes? Wheel trueness? Chain? Cassette? How many miles done on the bike? In all weathers?

I'm sure a true and centred wheel would spin for longer, have you checked the brake pads aren't touching?

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
couldnt see the brake pads touching...will check the other this this weekend when i have time and turn it upside down and have a proper look. Probably done about 1500 - 2000 miles so far. Its a hybrid shizuoka hoy 1.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The wheel should spin for a few minutes if the bearings are smooth. They should also end up with the valve at the bottom when they finish spinning. If you spin the wheel while holding it out of the frame you can feel if the bearings are rough. As said though check your brakes aren't binding.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Compare it to the back wheel? Or watch the wheel rotating near the brake blocks to see if the rim gets closer and further away, and if it touches on one side? Though you can normally hear if the brake is rubbing the rim in places.

boydj

Legendary Member
Compare it to the back wheel? Or watch the wheel rotating near the brake blocks to see if the rim gets closer and further away, and if it touches on one side? Though you can normally hear if the brake is rubbing the rim in places.
A decent wheel will spin for a long time, then oscillate for a good bit longer before it finally stops. Get your ears close to the wheel when it is spinning - if it's rubbing, you'll hear it. If not, then your bearings need some attention.

Citius

As long as your wheel turns easily, how long it spins for when not grounded and not under load is irrelevant

Venod

Eh up
I had a rear wheel puncture the other week, while the bike was upside down the front wheel was spinning for the time it took me to change the tube, I was mesmerised by it, just when the heavy bit got to the top I kept saying to myself it will drop back this time, it never did, I had to stop it in the end it was getting obsessive, it was turning realy slow, I think it must have been the wind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom