How long to train for 100 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Hmmm.

Have got tubes and kit to replace/repair the dreaded 'P'.

Got multi tool that comes with new bike with Wiggle.

Not thought about chain problems.

What else do you think I should be carrying with me??

Cable ties & duck tape (in case anything comes loose).
If you have mudguards, some spare mudguard bolts.
A spare folding tyre, just in case you get the dreaded recurring puncture.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi there , good luck with the century. It sounds like you have done a lot more preperation than I did before my first one.

Definitely want to carry a chain repeir link and chain tool.

Possibly a spare gear and brake cable too unless the bike/cables are newish.

dont forget to drink and eat lots on the ride go for a steady pace rather than pushing for a good time.Its the distance not the time that counts.

Enjoy the ride.

Thankyou Angelfishsolo.

Monday was awful ride. Was planning on longer distance, but lost all strength (not sure if that was bonking or not), struggled to get home.

Wednesday...Had porridge for breakfast and took jelly babies and a banana with me and 2 energy gels to try.
Done 76 miles..thats the furthest so far :smile:

I normally only have a banana for breakfast and drinks on the ride.

Next time will take 2 bananas I think...really enjoyed eating it while riding.

Gels were nicer than I expected..not sure if they helped or not, but will get some more.

Short 20 miles tomorrow as busy night tomorrow, but will do another long run over the weekend.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thankyou Angelfishsolo.

Monday was awful ride. Was planning on longer distance, but lost all strength (not sure if that was bonking or not), struggled to get home.

Wednesday...Had porridge for breakfast and took jelly babies and a banana with me and 2 energy gels to try.
Done 76 miles..thats the furthest so far :smile:

I normally only have a banana for breakfast and drinks on the ride.

Next time will take 2 bananas I think...really enjoyed eating it while riding.

Gels were nicer than I expected..not sure if they helped or not, but will get some more.

Short 20 miles tomorrow as busy night tomorrow, but will do another long run over the weekend.

76 Miles is quite an achievment in itself.

Definitely sounds as if you ran out of fuel , bonked in other words.
On any ride over about 50 miles getting calories in has to be top priority,

Start the day before with a high carbohydrate evening meal .Eat extra breakfast and double your on the bike stuff.

Good Luck when you go for the century.:thumbsup:

albion

Guru
My Sunday ride turned into my longest in a good few years at 64 miles.Funnily enough, with a tea stop, plenty of liquid and food there was no sign of bonk and OTT use of the granny gear.As Banjo said plus a very gentle pace.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Having done a century almost by accident (I started off heading to Cambridge, noticed the tailwind and carried on going...) I'd say that if you've done 76 miles, then you can do 100.
Keep eating, keep drinking. And enjoy it.

This is a great thread snails pace. One which I can definately learn from :smile:

Very much good luck on your ride buddy!

Main thing I have learnt so far is to fuel yourself correctly.

I am a fair bit overweight, so though I had enough reserves stored in my body, but guess they ran out.

Also seat must be pretty much spot on in adjustment to stop causing avoidable pains in your legs.

76 Miles is quite an achievment in itself.

Definitely sounds as if you ran out of fuel , bonked in other words.
On any ride over about 50 miles getting calories in has to be top priority,

Start the day before with a high carbohydrate evening meal .Eat extra breakfast and double your on the bike stuff.

Good Luck when you go for the century.:thumbsup:

What would you suggest for high carb meal the night before?? Pasta or something else.

Whats better, pasta or rice?

best way to train to cycle 100 miles is to cycle 100 miles
LOTS OF TIMES

I do not want to do the 100 mile until the day. I didn't want this to be easy, as I want to raise sponsor money. More chance of that if people know I have never ridden that distance before ;)

And this could be my one and only 100miler. May revert to 50 mile rides after this has been completed.

Hi there , good luck with the century. It sounds like you have done a lot more preperation than I did before my first one.

Definitely want to carry a chain repeir link and chain tool.

Possibly a spare gear and brake cable too unless the bike/cables are newish.

dont forget to drink and eat lots on the ride go for a steady pace rather than pushing for a good time.Its the distance not the time that counts.

Enjoy the ride.

Are all chain repair links the same size/width?
If not, how do I know which to get.

Same with chain tool.

Bike is only 9 months old, and not been used in the wet.

I seriously doubt that!!

LOL.

You may be right ;)

Done 76 miles again yesterday. Felt surprisingly good.

Was seeing if I could pace my food and drink intake, as I tend to wait until I really feel I need it.

I was having 1 or 2 Jelly babies every 10 minutes, a swig of High 5 drink every 15 minutes. and a banana every 1.5 hours.

I realise I am a lot slower than many of you with an average speed of 14.4mph, but that is a good time for me.

Am I eating/drinking enough/too much?

I was taking extra fluid towards the end as needed.

lulubel

Über Member
I am a fair bit overweight, so though I had enough reserves stored in my body, but guess they ran out.

You can be overweight but still not have any useful energy reserves stored in your body. The reason for eating a high carb meal the night before a long ride is to make sure your glycogen (carb) stores are fully topped up. The body prefers to use easily accessed carbs for energy. If it has to switch over to just burning fat because your glycogen stores are empty, that's when you're likely to start struggling and feeling like you can't go on.

What would you suggest for high carb meal the night before?? Pasta or something else.

Whats better, pasta or rice?

Pasta, potatoes, rice .... it doesn't matter. Whatever you prefer eating. As long as it's high in carbs it will top up your glycogen stores.

Top Bottom