How long to train for 100 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow.. What happened today.

Went for my planned ride today, but was much better than I was expecting.

Just under 50 miles (as planned) but average spped was 15.7mph!!!
I normally only average mid 14's at best.

I know I am no rocket ship on a bike (as proven by the chap that passed me on his Giant road bike like I was stood still) but I don't know why my speed was so much better, compared to normal for me.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Was it all the pasta I ate yesterday, or some other weird reason.

And I have no aches at all tonight.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Wow.. What happened today.

Went for my planned ride today, but was much better than I was expecting.

Just under 50 miles (as planned) but average spped was 15.7mph!!!
I normally only average mid 14's at best.

I know I am no rocket ship on a bike (as proven by the chap that passed me on his Giant road bike like I was stood still) but I don't know why my speed was so much better, compared to normal for me.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Was it all the pasta I ate yesterday, or some other weird reason.

And I have no aches at all tonight.

I find I have good days and less good days sometimes for no apparent reason. getting a good nights sleep is important, My sleep patterns are well screwed up due to working weird shift patterns.

Obviously your training and nutrition is working for you.

Re chain repair links you need the right one depending on how many cogs on your rear cassette eg If you have 9 cogs ask for 9 speed power link.(SRAM links will fit shimano chains)

Tynan

Veteran
after the first couple of weeks your heart, lungs, legs, the lot will get stronger until you can't remember them being anything else, it's a great feeling, do remeber though, it never gets easier, you just go faster

some the spares sound a bit extreme for a new bike or indeed any bike, spare tyre? I'll admit to carrying a piece of one for patching but in all my miles I've only have slashed a sidewall open once

likewise chain tool and link, I do carry those but I've broken a china twice ever and that's a 10 speed chain I don't look after

ditto spare cables, I've snapped a brake cable once, the bikes got a spare brake

this recalls spares lists for audaxes, what people might take on a 600k, even then most didn;t agree with tyres, cables and brake blocks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
it never gets easier, you just go faster

One of the most quotable quotes going methinks. Because it's so damned true!
It may tend to be true once you reach a certain level of fitness, but it is not true when you first start cycling.

Some things are pretty much impossible until you get fit enough. For example - try and do the Fred Whitton route in a day as your first ride! :eek:

Once you can cope with a particular route, you do have the option of riding it slow and easy, or fast and hard.

I know some very fit people who never ride quickly; they just aren't into speed. They could speed up but they don't feel like it.

I on the other hand, do fit that saying. Most of the time, I ride to a certain level of pain. When I'm fit, that is reasonably fast. When I'm not - now, for instance - I ride slowly.

yello

I tend not to push myself overly, it's not my way, so I'll never get fast as such. My speed increases have only come from being stronger and fitter, more efficient even perhaps.

But even when not pushing myself there are times when it's not easy. That is, I've room to go harder but that doesn't mean I'm taking it easy!

yello

Some things are pretty much impossible until you get fit enough. For example - try and do the Fred Whitton route in a day as your first ride!

I was thinking about this the other morning and NOT being able to do the Fred Whitton challenge is a level of fitness too! The FW is never going to be easy but you will get faster at doing it, even if faster means 2 days instead of 3!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's now a week until I do the 100 miles.

When should I stop cycling bigger distances ...
Now! You aren't going to gain much more fitness in a week, so why tire yourself out?

... and what cycling (if any) should I be doing ...
A few easy rides just to keep your legs ticking over, and take the last couple of days off the bike altogether?

... and what should I be eating before the day??
Something that doesn't take 2 days to digest and has plenty of easily accessible calories! I like things like rice or pasta with salad and fish.

Don't drink too much alcohol the night before and make sure that you are well-hydrated.

Finally - Good Luck! :hello:

Thanks Colin.

Always value your opinion (and others of course).

Will do some gentle 20 mile rides for next few days and then lay off as you have suggested.
Only seem to be eating pasta with tuna and jacket potatoes with sausages and beans at the moment. Bananas as well.
And I think Lincolnshire is running out of jelly babies now :smile:

I wish you all the luck in the world snails pace! I enjoyed reading your progression toward the century ride, let us know how it goes. We will be cheering for you!

JK22

I've really enjoyed reading this forum. I am new to cycling and this has offered a lot of helpful insight. I just have one question. How did it go!?

Well.

I managed to do it in a time of 7 hours 16 minutes. Not teh fastest, but was what I was hoping for. :smile:

It was hard work as was fairly strong northerly winds and I was going up the country. :sad:

It was 101 miles at the finish.

I had no long stops...Just toilet stops in bushes and stopped once for a banana (rest were eaten on the move.

What I ate and drank...

I drank 1 litre of ASDA isotonic, and 3.75 litres of High5 zero.

For breakfast I had a bowl of porridge and an energy bar.

During the ride I ate 6 bananas and 1 bag of jelly babies.

I felt OK, but once home, I realised how hungry I was, so maybe should have eaten something more during the ride.

Legs were sore the next day, but nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be.

From 30 miles I had a pain inside my knee that I was trying to protect so was stood up pedalling more than normal.

I don't see me doing 100 miles again. I will certainly be doing 50 mile rides as that is an enjoyable distance for me at the minute (did I really just say that).

Top Bottom