How long will it take to get used to a compact chainset if you are used to a triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It wasn't really a leap but my first bikes were both triples and my next bike was a double and it got up all sorts of Scottish Hills, including 20%+ gradients. On the same hills before I would have dropped to the 30t granny ring on the tripple but for me the double forced me to improve. I pretty sure it'll do the same for you :okay:

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
It wasn't really a leap but my first bikes were both triples and my next bike was a double and it got up all sorts of Scottish Hills, including 20%+ gradients. On the same hills before I would have dropped to the 30t granny ring on the tripple but for me the double forced me to improve. I pretty sure it'll do the same for you :okay:
When I bought my tourer I changed my triple for a smaller triple only to find that I didn't need the lowest gears after a month, I'm hoping the same will apply with my road bike. Thanks for the positivity, it's good to know that others have managed, especially in regards to the steeper hills.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You'll manage. I got up The Struggle out of Ambleside, aged 62, on a 34/30. My biggest hindrance was my mitts slipping around on my sweaty hands so I took them off, which made a huge difference to my ability to turn the pedals.

I prefer a triple for spinning on the flat. It means I can always find the right gear and I don't need to put out too much effort. On hills, I find it doesn't matter as much as I'm normally in the wrong gear.

viniga

Guru
I live in a hilly area and do hilly sportives with a compact (long steep hills). Over the years as my fitness has improved and weight dropped (now 75kg was 95kg when I started riding) I actually find it rare to be in the little ring, but that took time.

Given the switch and the fact that you might want to do a sportive in 5wks then I would consider the 32 on the back and also see if there is anything you can do to reduce weight (bike or you!). But longer term as has been said use it as a way to improve!

Sharky

Guru
I think with gears, there is always a temptation to change down too soon and also to change up too soon when the gradient changes. Keeping in the same gear for a bit longer and it helps to work on strength to fight the ups and your cadence improves on the downs.

Taking this theory to the extreme, a rider on an SS or Fixed, will still manage to get up most hills

Do you roll down them a lot?
No, but I ride up them quite a lot.

B6EB955D-EA8E-4B39-866F-B80DAB2633ED.jpeg

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I live in a hilly area and do hilly sportives with a compact (long steep hills). Over the years as my fitness has improved and weight dropped (now 75kg was 95kg when I started riding) I actually find it rare to be in the little ring, but that took time.

Given the switch and the fact that you might want to do a sportive in 5wks then I would consider the 32 on the back and also see if there is anything you can do to reduce weight (bike or you!). But longer term as has been said use it as a way to improve!
Wow, what an achievement!
The bike is pretty light already and I've cycled 3000 miles already this year (on a much heavier bike) and lost about 8kg. Since it's not very hilly where I am at the moment I'm going to stay in as high a gear as possible and maybe cut the long rides for a while and concentrate on climbing.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Well folks, in another write up about the course it mentions a 25% climb near Poundsgate!!!

I'm thinking that the touring bike may be a better option given my age and fitness (I'm 46). I've used the bike for lots of rides on Dartmoor, it's got the gears and I have some light 32mm tyres which I can use on the day.

Apart from the gearing, I'm not used to riding the road bike and it still feels skittish. If I use the heavier bike, I'm good to go and won't need to train like crazy.

The tourer is 13kg (or more) but it's fun to ride and it's fast downhill in any weather. (hopefully, it's miserable!)

I'll persevere with the road bike, and use it for my 20-mile commute during the summer months and ease my way in. This is my first sportive and it's a bit of a beast.

Johnsop99

Veteran
I live on the North Cornwall coast with plenty of hills and the occasional ride on Dartmoor. I went from a triple to a compact and found it didn't take long at all to adjust. I would recommend a 32T for the steepest hills. I am running 34-32 on 2 of my bikes and a semi compact 36-28 on the third. There are only three hills locally I struggle with on the semi compact so if I know I'm going that way I take one of the compact equipped bikes. 34-32 should be fine around Dartmoor.

CXRAndy

Guru
All depends on how much he weighs. Ave weight riders upto 85kg can get away with standard groupsets, but heavy riders like me 92+kg need extra gearing especially on longer hills/mountain climbs. I can use a 36*31/35 for upto 6% for an hour powering up @ 80 rpm but if its a 2 hour climb i prefer to use the inner ring 26 and vary gears from 22-31t and spin 85rpm +

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
All depends on how much he weighs. Ave weight riders upto 85kg can get away with standard groupsets, but heavy riders like me 92+kg need extra gearing especially on longer hills/mountain climbs. I can use a 36*31/35 for upto 6% for an hour powering up @ 80 rpm but if its a 2 hour climb i prefer to use the inner ring 26 and vary gears from 22-31t and spin 85rpm +
(I weigh just under 72kg)

One site mentions a climb of 25% but that seems to be incorrect.
The Sigma sports site states
"Featured climb. Widecombe
The venue for the 1990 National Hill Climb Championships won by none other than Chris Boardman, this hill is steeped in cycling history. Rising from the heart of the beautiful village of Widecombe-in-the-Moor it is a fearsome 1.4 kilometres of 12% average gradient which is even steeper, approaching 20% in places so get ready to grind."

I'll be down in the area from the 1st and the event is on the 4th so I can give the steepest section a shot on the road bike.
( I'm based 7 miles away during the summer and climbed it on the tourer last summer)

I don't want to push the bike for any part of the ride, so if I can't make it on the road bike (which I suspect is the case) then I'll be taking the tourer. I accept that the road bike is faster (with the right rider) but the sportive is rated as 10/10 for difficulty so I'm definitely hedging my bets in terms of which bike to take.

This is what the route looks like on Strava Veloveiwer.
https://veloviewer.com/routes/3917763

Top Bottom