1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How low can you get?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JC4LAB, 3 Sep 2007.

1. JC4LAB

JC4LAB Guest

Do you really need a granny gear?What the lowest you can get and do you really need it?

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

30 x 25 and yes, if the climb's a real steep one (road bike).

not sure on mtb but looks like about 26 x 28, but as mtb is heavier that the road bike it works out about the same in terms of work rate.

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Some hills are really steep and a granny gear is better than walking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

26x34

For the last 4 zig-zags on the Galibier (after the tunnel entrance), on a fully loaded camping tourer, in the sleety rain after already doing the Izoard that morning?

The answer is yes I did need it, thank you very much.

5. OP
    OP
    JC4LAB

JC4LAB Guest

I have been looking at the Dahon Jack ..It is a folding mountain bike and has a lowest gear of 37" and wonder if this is low enough

6. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

24" here on my recumbent. 38x32, and on a 406 wheel.

7. simon_adams_uk

simon_adams_uk Über Member

On my MTB - 20x34
    That can get you up the north face of the Eiger :-)

S

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Old bike (well, new bike but stolen), 24 front, 30 rear.
    Going up towards Ipsley Church from Pikes Pool (a hill to me), Arrow Valley Park, Redditch.
    I got overtaken by a bloody duck walking up the road !!

Oh !! The shame !!

9. Charlotte_C+ :-)

Charlotte_C+ :-) New Member

Least it wasn`t a snail Elmer;):ohmy:

10. that's just Daffy

L

11. 42X25 (I think) on my semi - roadie, 26X30 on my tourer. Although I find low gears are not really necessary when all you use your bikes for is hanging up in the shed.:ohmy:

12. Intelligenthamster

Intelligenthamster Über Member

I have arthritis :ohmy:. I need my granny gear.

13. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

24*26 on the road bike for a 25" gear. A bit overkill even for the Alps, but I'd sooner have a lower gear than I actually need.
    I'd intended to go 26*26, but the LBS was out of 26T chainrings. My excuse and I'm sticking to it!

14. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'd have thought the lowest you need is the one that keeps you moving just above stalling speed. So one for a bike, and a much lower one for a trike, where you can travel at much less than walking pace without falling over.

I have no idea about numbers and stuff..

15. palinurus

palinurus Guru

42 x 25 or 42 x 23, depending on bike. Most of the hills round my way are short and steep or longer but not so steep. All are honking distance if necessary. If I was going to go up a cocking great mountain: 25 x 42.

I've no idea what the lowest gear on my Brompton is. I put a littler chainring on it tho'.