How low can you get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
30 x 25 and yes, if the climb's a real steep one (road bike).

not sure on mtb but looks like about 26 x 28, but as mtb is heavier that the road bike it works out about the same in terms of work rate.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
26x34

For the last 4 zig-zags on the Galibier (after the tunnel entrance), on a fully loaded camping tourer, in the sleety rain after already doing the Izoard that morning?

The answer is yes I did need it, thank you very much.

OP
OP
J

JC4LAB

I have been looking at the Dahon Jack ..It is a folding mountain bike and has a lowest gear of 37" and wonder if this is low enough

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Old bike (well, new bike but stolen), 24 front, 30 rear.
Going up towards Ipsley Church from Pikes Pool (a hill to me), Arrow Valley Park, Redditch.
I got overtaken by a bloody duck walking up the road !!

Oh !! The shame !!

Charlotte_C+ :-)

Elmer Fudd said:
Old bike (well, new bike but stolen), 24 front, 30 rear.
Going up towards Ipsley Church from Pikes Pool (a hill to me), Arrow Valley Park, Redditch.
I got overtaken by a bloody duck walking up the road !!

Oh !! The shame !!

Least it wasn`t a snail Elmer;):ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
24*26 on the road bike for a 25" gear. A bit overkill even for the Alps, but I'd sooner have a lower gear than I actually need.
I'd intended to go 26*26, but the LBS was out of 26T chainrings. My excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd have thought the lowest you need is the one that keeps you moving just above stalling speed. So one for a bike, and a much lower one for a trike, where you can travel at much less than walking pace without falling over.

I have no idea about numbers and stuff..

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
42 x 25 or 42 x 23, depending on bike. Most of the hills round my way are short and steep or longer but not so steep. All are honking distance if necessary. If I was going to go up a cocking great mountain: 25 x 42.

I've no idea what the lowest gear on my Brompton is. I put a littler chainring on it tho'.

Top Bottom