How many bikes and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife and I "share"
Catrike recumbent trike
Hurricane racing recumbent
Street Machine Touring recumbent
Thorn Nomad
Thorn Raven Tour
Dawes Galaxy Tandem
Jack Taylor tandem Trike
Airnimal Chameleon
Birdy Blue
Brompton T6
Brompton S6
Dawes Horizon
Saracen TuffTrax MTB
Giant X2000 Hybrid
Ridgeback Speed Hybrid
Pashley Delibike (Rod brakes and Hovis Livery)
My childhood Raleigh Phaser
Tag Along
Dawes Karakum

Two Strida Mk 1 in the process of a rebuild
Plus miscellaneous trailers

All have their strengths and uses.

Will1985

Über Member
6 at the moment.

Bianchi Nirone 06 - my first road bike and therefore has a small sentimental value. Only the frame, forks, and saddle are original. It's been upgraded to nicer and lighter components. Still 9 speed though.

Ribble Ultralite - new acquisition for road racing. It's got cheap and crashable written all over it.

On One Pompino - my 3rd since 2 have come off 2nd best in fights with cars. Fixed runaround.

Dolan Pre Cursa - used on both track and fixed TT (with front brake). Nice and simple but modular depending on use. Gets to use same wheels as TT bike.

Caygill handbuilt TT alu bike - the frame was a bargain eBay purchase and I stuck 9 speed kit on it. Had a major upgrade this winter with new carbon bars, Record UT chainset and Zipp 900 disc. It will be superseded by a new frame this winter and probably become a small road bike for my sisters.

Decathlon MTB - haven't ridden in a while but does a job especially in rubbish weather conditions.

Future additions will be new TT frame, and possibly a cyclocross bike.....I like to swap stuff around so it would borrow wheels from the Ribble but shod with CX tyres.

A Brompton is also tempting for some more cracks at the BWC. I wonder what the fastest 10 mile TT is on a 16" folder?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cunobelin said:
My wife and I "share"
Catrike recumbent trike
Hurricane racing recumbent
Street Machine Touring recumbent
Thorn Nomad
Thorn Raven Tour
Dawes Galaxy Tandem
Jack Taylor tandem Trike
Airnimal Chameleon
Birdy Blue
Brompton T6
Brompton S6
Dawes Horizon
Saracen TuffTrax MTB
Giant X2000 Hybrid
Ridgeback Speed Hybrid
Pashley Delibike (Rod brakes and Hovis Livery)
My childhood Raleigh Phaser
Tag Along
Dawes Karakum

Two Strida Mk 1 in the process of a rebuild
Plus miscellaneous trailers

All have their strengths and uses.

Where do you store all that lot...:sad:

DavieB

MIA
I have a Specialized Hardrock, Which is unused atm, but im going to start using it to take the kids out with, and a Carrerra Virtuoso which Ive just started to use for my quest to become fit.

al78

Guru
Just three bikes:

Kinesis Racelight TK (commuting/general utility bike)
Specialized Hardrock MTB (bad weather, fit studded tyres for icy winter days)
Birdy Blue (for mixed mode journeys e.g. meetings in London, visiting family)

Was thinking of getting a Shimano Alfine 11 and fitting it to the Kinesis, if an STI shifter is developed for it as it was for the Alfine 8.

D

Deleted member 1258

Three Bikes.
An almost three year old Pearson Touche fixed, commuting and winter club runs.
A seven year old Dawes Giro 300 16 speed, summer club runs.
An ancient Raleigh Aveo 14 speed that just collects dust in the shed, has been used on the turbo in the past.
The original plan was to retire the Dawes this year, get rid of the Raleigh and buy a new summer club run bike, then I was made redundant just after Christmas and that was the end of that.

summerdays said:
Where do you store all that lot...:sad:

I'll guess in the house, whilst actually sleeping in the shed. :smile:

I've a Giant Escape, mtb style ridgid hybrid with rack & mudguards. The 'do everything' utility bike, shopping, trailer tow duties etc.
On One Pompino, alfine hubbed, drop bars, the 'fast' bike.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
n+3

Raleigh Hybrid XC = winter hack and off road fun :sad:

Raleigh winner = road bike / tourer

Carrera Subway LTD = summer bike / fitness trainer and charity cycle events mount.

Got my eye on a Boardman team carbon road bike later this year :smile::biggrin::biggrin:

I did have 3 but i gave my son Jake the MTB (Giant Terrago Disc) so i'm down to my Cannondale Synapse (flat bar road bike) and my Ridgeback Panorama (touring bike)

I went out on the Cannondale for the first time in ages today which reminded me why i tend to always ride the Touring bike (its just sooo comfy)

Simon

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Too many, or not enough, depending...
Carbon Uberbike for serious stuff - centuries, mountains, that sort of thing
531ST touring bike (currently singlespeed)
Ribble winter bike (currently touring/commuting/CTC rides bike)
MTB (currently in bits waiting for me to re-furbish my...)
Kirk MTB frame (awaiting refurb and rebuild with above bits)
Dynatech 401 T1 frame (will eventually become the SS, when the 531ST gets rebuilt as the tourer)
Deawoo Shuttle - random POS that I may fixie, just for the hell of it
4-speed hub geared hack - currently has a pringled rear wheel.

I'd still like a 'bent. Bike or trike, or maybe both.

I'm doomed, I tell you. Doomed.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
3 bikes :-

13 year old touring bike - was everything / commuting & child trailer puller ; now winter bike & long rides, maybe one day touring?

9 year old MTB - sort of off road (on the off chance) - now commuter / child seat carrier (was child trailer puller)

4 year old road bike for smiling & going marginally faster...

To have another bike i'd have to win it in a competition & find somewhere for it to live

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
right now 2 because its all I can afford the money or space for at the mo. My Birdy folder for multi modal travel and a Cannondale Street Ultra general purpose bike for commuting, everyday riding and load lugging.

I can also borrow my sons road bike if I fancy a fast blast now and again.

OP
OP
sarahpink

sarahpink

wow thanks for all the replies. I so want another one for commuting purposes for when i start college, god cycling is so addictive:laugh:

I have a recumbent trike for its comfort over longer distances, a folder for its ease of transport to schools where I do cyclist training, and a hybrid for general riding around. I have become aware recently that I do not have a carbon-framed road bike; this situation needs to be rectified. Come to think of it, I don't seem to have either a MTB, or a tourer. Oh dear.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2 bikes , its all i am allowed :biggrin:

Subway 1 for winter commuting and back up bike

Virtuosso for nicer weather commuting and when i get chance a weekend spin .

I would like a nice weekend bike but its finding the time and avoiding the glares from the other half if i did ..........

Top Bottom