How many bikes and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

Eight.

1 mtb and 7 road bikes (see signature).

bc

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Technically I have 4.

An MTB left at my parents, this was my bike as a teenager.

A BMX that I used to commute to uni on as an undergrad, now trying to get rid of it.

A fixed wheel bike, for Training and eventually TT'ing

A road bike, for making my bedroom look good (or more serious longer rides, not had much use yet hence the bedroom comment :angry:)

Rebel Ian

I feel like a pauper with only 3!

A rubbishy Raleigh Halfords MTB which is used to drag my youngest son on his tag-a-long.

A Specialized Allez which I keep 'oop Norf so I can ride when I work away during the week.

A Bianchi Veloce which I keep for rides down South and for events etc..

Edited to add - the mathematical formula for how many bikes you should own is X plus 1, where X equals the number you currently have :angry:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
6 in various states of usability:

1 Blue 4AL - nice alu-carbon racer from a US manufacturer. Used for sportives and club runs - now at my folks' in the UK, by mistake...
1 Manhattan P7 - generic steel SS / fixie. Used for training and fun.
1 Planet-X Kaffenback - the old style blue-dragon finish. Steel all-rounder. My first proper road bike, previously used for commuting, light touring etc. this is now in need of rebuilding.
1 Brompton M6L - folder. My current 3-season commuting bike. Sits folded up in the corner of my office.
1 icebike - generic old steel MTB frame, SS adapted, with titanium-studded tires. My winter commuter and fun bike.
1 Titus Motolite - FS XC racer. Beautiful. Currently half-built up and not really used right now.

My next bike (eventually) will be a hand-built steel tourer. It's about time... :angry:

gavintc

Guru
When we moved into the flat in Edinburgh, we had to rationalise our holdings and we reduced to 2 x bikes each. Although we now have move space, we are both quite content with our bikes and it is unlikely that we will be adding to the collection. We are pondering and planning our next move - and need to stay lightish with stuff.

Me:
Cervelo RS - fun and Gran Fondos.
Kinesis Racelight TK - commuting and winter riding.
Wife
Pinarello F4:13 - fun and training
Giant OCR 3 - winter riding.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
gavintc said:
When we moved into the flat in Edinburgh, we had to rationalise our holdings and we reduced to 2 x bikes each.

That's most unfortunate - we just did the opposite, moved from a small flat to our new place - which came with a barn! :angry:

Young Un

Dolan Pre Cursa = Track bike (no brakes etc)

Kona Jake The Snake = CycloCross bike

Dolan Aria = speed machine - TT bike

Dolan Mythos = speed machine - Road race bike

Giant Scr2.0 = the workhorse/winter bike/commuter

GT Palomer = rigid mountain bike for winter fun

GT 24Racer = Dirt jump bike to keep me occupied when I get bored.

Top Bottom