How Many Bikes Should A Cyclist Own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leadlegs

It started innocently enough, just a simple bike to ride to work and back. After years of service it was time to retire old faithful and replace it with something better. Circumstances changed and I no longer rode to work but continued to ride for leisure, pleasure and fitness. Before I knew it, it was time to change my bike once more. Again it was an opportunity to upgrade.

Everything seemed normal at this point. Life was simple and it was a case of one in – one out.

After a couple of harsh winters my bike started to look and feel a bit rough. Time for a new bike thinks me. I treated myself to a nice made-to-measure machine. Of course, this was too good to ride when the weather was bad so I kept the old one for winter use. Unfortunately neither of these were any good for riding off-road. Yep, a mountain bike was added to my collection.

Mrs. Leadlegs fancied riding around our beautiful countryside, but neither of us wanted to be the classic couple out for a ride, (man way out in front enjoying himself, woman grinding along behind trying to keep up while looking far from happy). It was her suggestion, (honestly) and after a trial run on a hired bike in the Lake District a tandem joined the fold.

My most recent purchase is a carbon fibre wonder. Time to shuffle my bikes down the ranks and let the old winter bike go thought I. But wait a minute; who cares if the brakes are garbage, the frame rusting and the wheels look far from pretty if it was on a turbo trainer? So that’s what I did.

Slowly more and more garage space is being allocated to my bikes. Is there any end to this, I don’t know, maybe I need therapy.

How many bikes should a cyclist own?

PaulB

Legendary Member

As many as necessary; or as per the formula, n + 1 (the number of bikes you already have plus another one).

I have a mountain bike, a hybrid and a winter hack. I would like to have a fixed, a road bike (double, triple, and/or a compact) and a tourer.

Having no fixed abode makes owning things difficult, but I'm working on it.

Basically, if you enjoy different aspects of cycling, then get a bike to suit. It's the same as having the 'right' footwear for playing different sports. :biggrin:

dudi

if her indoors starts complaining... "it's just the same reason that you have 12 handbags and 42 pairs of shoes"

I've been thinking about getting two new bikes.
I want a new road bike ( but that will actually replace another one which will be given to my brother) and I've been thinking about getting a mountain bike... not sure if i'd use it though.
I'd also like a bike for the turbo trainer.
I'd also like a turbo trainer.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
You need a road bike, a hack/commuter, something a little dirty (mtb), a fixed and a tourer.

I have a road bike and a hack, a fixed is coming in a week or so. Tha leaves a MTB and a tourer to fill the stable.

derall

Guru
As above, n + 1 is the standard. You need at least one of each. Personally I have one each of Tourer, MTB, Road Bike, Recumbent and Folder. Trying to decide whether the next should be the Fixie or the 'bent Trike. Probably the former for reasoons of space

Keith Oates

Janner
My +1 at the moment is a SS (maybe fixed) fortunately I haven't seen one here in Vietnam otherwise it would be already in service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You only really need one. A Touring bike. They do anything.
However, I have a tourer and three others, and Ms RT has two tourers. And we're hopeless at cycling; my bikes just gather dust these days and she goes to the shops occasionally on hers.
So, have as many as you want, seems to be the general concensus.:biggrin:

dodgy

A touring bike will be the last bike I would buy, there's something inately 'beardy' about them. It took me long enough to even put mudguards on my old road race bike, a touring bike is a step too far :biggrin:

Dave.

Proto

Legendary Member
Talking to that smashing chap Gary Blackett at the Mavic Service Centre about this very subject the other day. His French colleagues can't understand the concept of a 'winter' bike. Just use the 'summer' bike, and if it needs new parts/repairs then get on with it. Why suffer the discomfort of riding a second (or third or fourth) choice machine. What's the point? Even my winter bike cost a few hundred quid, use the money to improve maintain your best bike. Got me thinking.

Well ........................ I was up to seven at one point. Best road bike, second best road bike, winter hack/trainer road bike, commuter ex-MTB, track bike, road fixie, decent mountain bike.

And then I started thinking about my cycling a bit more: How much do all these bikes cost, and which ones do I really enjoy riding? The space required, the emotional attachment and baggage. Time for a cull.

So The track bike went. I only used it at Reading, and I can use my road fixie there. (The road fixies days may be numbered too)

Then the broblem of 3 road bikes. I liked riding my LOOK 585 best so thought why am I bothering with the other two, they went, and my LOOK is used for anything road. If it gets broken or damaged, I'll just get another one.

The commuter stays, it's worth £4.56p and gets almopst no tlc or maintenace. Got some fab hope wheels though and has ben used as a tourer - my son rode it to Milan in September

Finally the MTB. It stays as it's the only bike I've got for the job.

That's it - 4 bikes max. All you'll ever need.

BTW Ricky who runs the good bit of AW CYcles in Caversham told me he has 76 bikes, mostly collectible classics and retro racers. Must have a big shed.

Top Bottom