How many degrees of movement for novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Morning

Looking to go into clipless this year as I have been using flats whilst being new to road cycling. I have been given some basic Shimano pedals but need to purchase cleats. What are the benefits and drawbacks to the various amounts of float available? Would less or more be better for a novice?

Stompier

No benefits or drawbacks, just personal preference.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would suggest that if you don’t know how well your knee tracks that you go with more float, that way until you get your cleat position perfect you won’t risk any damage to yourself.

Mike_P

Guru
Presumably you are referring to SPD pedals in which case you have a choice of the SH51 or SH56 cleats, both have 4 degrees float. The 56 is multi release and not liked by many due to the ease of uncoupling. I however find a 51 difficult to unclip on my right foot so have a 51 on my left shoes and 56 on my right shoes and hence normally leave my left foot clipped and use my right foot for stopped purposes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
More float is good, as it helps avoid knee issues. What you do want though is to reduce the tension in the pedal mechanism, so they are easier to unclip whilst you are getting used to them. Most clipless pedals are adjustable in this way.

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Sorry for the confusion. The pedals are Shimano PD-R540.
I dont know about tracking but when standing and walking my right leg angles outwards a little.

alicat

Legendary Member
The trick is not the amount of float but the position of the cleat relative to the shoe. Set the cleats carefully and go for a short test ride. Don't persist through any pain. I set some SPD cleats up in too much of a hurry, ignored the pain for a 30 mile ride and have ended up with permanent knee damage.

Unless you're putting down stupid power numbers you will not appreciate the benefits of less float.
I've been using yellow cleats with 6 degrees of float since 2005 and the only time I've thought "I wish my feet would move less" was on the 25% climbs on a holiday in north Devon.

The more float you have the less likely you are to be injured by incorrectly positioned cleats on your shoe.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why do you want to go clipless?

There are no power benefits, although some prefer the feel of being clipped in.

You say your right knee/leg already has a slight kink in it.

Clipless could exacerbate the problem.

In your case, that may be a good reason to stay on platforms.

Personal preference rules, but just because most other roadies (now) ride clipless is not a reason for you to.

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Why do you want to go clipless?

There are no power benefits, although some prefer the feel of being clipped in.

You say your right knee/leg already has a slight kink in it.

Clipless could exacerbate the problem.

In your case, that may be a good reason to stay on platforms.

Personal preference rules, but just because most other roadies (now) ride clipless is not a reason for you to.

I am still in two minds as it happens but my reason is to make use of the upstroke. I feel it does take a lot out of my quads just using flats and presume its makes sense to use the hamstrings to share the workload. Plus the more I cycle the greater the strength imbalance between quads and hammies become. I dont think the leg angle is due to the knee, pretty sure its at the abductor/adductor area due to an old footy injury.

Unless your set up is spot on, I’d advise avoiding the zero and 2 degree float cleats. The yellow ( 6 degree ) cleats would be my advice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am still in two minds as it happens but my reason is to make use of the upstroke. I feel it does take a lot out of my quads just using flats and presume its makes sense to use the hamstrings to share the workload. Plus the more I cycle the greater the strength imbalance between quads and hammies become. I dont think the leg angle is due to the knee, pretty sure its at the abductor/adductor area due to an old footy injury.

People say 'make use of the upstroke' but that doesn't pass any examination.

The pedals are linked, when you push down on one the other is being pushed up under power, so you cannot add any power to that by pulling your leg upwards.

The other point is that you have very little upwards power in your leg.

If I rested my palm on your instep while you were standing, you could not lift that leg.

But if I rested my palm under your sole, you could easily stamp down to push my hand out of the way.

The stamping down motion is where you have the power, which is equivalent to pushing down on the pedals.

I believe Sky - as they would - did some scientific examination of this and found a tiny, barely measurable benefit to being clipped in.

In their case, getting Bernal a metre further down the road over a Grand Tour stage could be the difference between winning and losing - marginal gains and all that.

That simply doesn't apply to the likes of you and me, but just to reiterate, personal preference rules.

If you try clipless and like the feel of them, use them.

Top Bottom