How many degrees of movement for novice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stompier

Keeping you feet on the pedals is the other obvious answer

This. Main advantage of clipless is (and always has been) secure foot retention. Any other benefit is secondary.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This. Main advantage of clipless is (and always has been) secure foot retention. Any other benefit is secondary.

There is a benefit if you follow the relatively recent fashion for high cadence.

Spinning at 100rpm plus is easier with clipless.

D

Deleted member 26715

On the road I preferred the feeling of clipless, fitted them to my MTB as soon as I got it, removed them after 3 rides & now happy with flats, but as @Pale Rider says it's all down to personal preference

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
People say 'make use of the upstroke' but that doesn't pass any examination.

The pedals are linked, when you push down on one the other is being pushed up under power, so you cannot add any power to that by pulling your leg upwards.

The other point is that you have very little upwards power in your leg.

The effort can be shared. All other factors being constant, in theory you will achieve the same rotational chainring speed by either pushing down with X Newtons of force or by pulling up by with a X newtons of force. You would again achieve the same rotational chainring speed should you push with half X newtons and also pull with half X newtons.

As I say, im not interested in power its a matter of sharing the work, even if its just shifted from 100%/0% to 80%/20% that would be worthwhile. Without going into too much depth when im going around on flats I have a shed load of mitochondira in my hamstrings sitting there not doing much. Conversely I have another load of mitochondira in my quads asking for a rest.

Anyhow, didnt want to turn this into a flats v clipless debate and im still considering if I go for them or not. Says a chap who has always used flats and is making a point for clipless. Funny old world.

Last edited:

Stompier

The effort can be shared. All other factors being constant, in theory you will achieve the same rotational chainring speed by either pushing down with X Newtons of force or by pulling up by with a X newtons of force. You would again achieve the same rotational chainring speed should you push with half X newtons and also pull with half X newtons.

I think what Pale Rider is saying is that human legs are not designed to 'pull up' - but they are designed to 'push down'. There have been studies over the years which I think have demonstrated that pulling up does not contribute much - if anything - to the power stroke.

12boy

Guru
I have to agree with the benefit of keeping the foot on the pedal. Not a big deal when seated on a smooth path but on a bumpy surface, plowing through snow and ruts or going up a hill when standing because there is no gear low enough, it is good to keep the foot on the pedal.
I have to disagree with the pulling up thing though. I have always been a slow pedaller, preferring a higher gear at slow rpm than trying to maintain a fast one. When going uphill and pedalling slowly I feel the push-pull action to be almost like having another lower gear. I began fixed gear cycling about the time I began using SPDs and learned to resist the downstroke with my pull up muscles to stop the bike.
Also, and it is a minor thing, I like being able to move the left pedal where I want when stopped, since my habit is to put my right foot on the ground. BTW, when getting used to the SPDs, I don't know how many times I didn't disengage until I was almost stopped, had a moment of panic and slowly toppled over. Other people did find this amusing although me, not so much.

Ice2911

Über Member
On the road I preferred the feeling of clipless, fitted them to my MTB as soon as I got it, removed them after 3 rides & now happy with flats, but as @Pale Rider says it's all down to personal preference
Snap!!! Did the same thing!

Top Bottom