How many of us...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I got a couple of old baths that were being tipped and filled them with a soft mixture of sand, topsoil and compost for the carrots. It worked pretty well last year and keeps them above the active height of carrot root fly.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Right, we're giving it a go this year.

I've dug over a couple of beds for veg and we're going to do some tomatoes in the summerhouse. So we're starting off with spuds and onions, some peas and/or beans. Any other suggestions for stuff that's easy to grow especially as I seem to have the anti-Midas touch when it comes to growing things? :smile:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Right, we're giving it a go this year.

I've dug over a couple of beds for veg and we're going to do some tomatoes in the summerhouse. So we're starting off with spuds and onions, some peas and/or beans. Any other suggestions for stuff that's easy to grow especially as I seem to have the anti-Midas touch when it comes to growing things? :smile:

My suggestion would be sweet corn, rhubarb and radishes. Easy peasy.

jnb

Veteran
No veg, but plenty of fruit (or at least there should be if I can keep the chickens off it before I get there). When it comes to fruit we have
apples (Bramley, cox, spartan, braeburn)
pears (conference and something I can't remember offhand)
gooseberries (two varieties I can't remember but they're red and green)
raspberries (autmn bliss and something else)
strawberries (chooks always get those before I do)
rhubarb (victoria and again something I can't remember)
blueberries
blackcurrants

Next step is to to get in nectarines and a large herb bed. I did have an allotment but decided it was too far from the house to be practical.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Thanks chaps - think I've got it narrowed down now. I'll leave the broc for now - kids don't think much to it anyway!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I grow all sorts of chilis, but I use Scotch bonnet and hanaberos most of all.

Just looked those up, If I put them in any cooking I'd definitely be eating on my own! Jalapenos is about as high as I can get away with in our house and then only sparingly.

Scoville_Scale.jpg

ASC1951

Guru
Next step is.... a large herb bed. I did have an allotment but decided it was too far from the house to be practical.
Herbs need to be so close to the back door that you can get them even if it's raining.

I have sage, chives, ordinary thyme, lemon thyme, lemon grass, lemon verbena, melissa, tarragon, peppermint, applemint, Moroccan mint, lavender, rosemary, parsley and coriander until they bolt, basil until the snails get it....

Sometimes I am reduced to making drinks with tea.
icon_sad.gif

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Spinach is easy ... and things like rocket that you want to pick regularly. We fail regularly with squash ... but each year we try again :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I just planted some garlic.

Also rocket, butternut squash, and raspberries.
As an experiment I've planted some tomatoes and strawberries in hanging baskets. Someone said they worked well - I'll let you know.

Also got some purple carrots to plant, but not done that yet.

biglad

I'm not ready to grow veg just yet, but the Mrs and I are going to be moving in May and I'm hoping to grow some fresh herbs, I have packets of mint, and a few others ready to plant once I'm settled, really looking forward to it.

I have a pot of corriander growing in my porch at the moment and it really does make the very small area smell lovely. Cant wait to grow more.

Top Bottom