How many punctures on one ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
In 15 years of cycling (I admit I had an 8 year gap so you could call it y years) I had had 4 punctures, until today when I did a 30 mile ride and had another 2. Equals half of my previous total in a couple of hours!!

The first was a thorn through my front armadillo tyre, which I fixed on the roadside, with the help of a fellow cyclist who very kindly stopped to assist. For some unknown reason I used a patch instead of the spare tube I was also carrying. I then cycled about a mile back on myself to a good cycle shop where the staff let me use a floor pump to get the pressure up to 100 psi so I could complete my planned ride without worrying too much about pinch flats.

I should have worried about glass shards though because 10 miles later, I heard a loud snap and hiss, and my front tyre deflated in a few seconds. "Oh dear, how frightfully unfortunate", I uttered, thinking the patch might have blown out. But, when I inspected it, I found a large glass shard embedded in my tyre which had made a large hole in the tube. Well cheesed off by now, I used the spare tube and rode home carefully trying to avoid anything that look like it could have a remotely sharp edge.

A mate once told me he had 6 punctures in one ride, which is the total of all mine, but just wondering how many other people have had on a single trip.

Dan B

Disengaged member
3 on a dunwich dynamo. 4 over the whole weekend, counting one the previous night on the fnrttc

I threw that tyre away shortly afterwards and never again have used the same tyre both on road and on turbo trainer

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I had 2 at once on one occasion, without any obvious cause like a patch of broken glass. I stopped because the back tyre was flat, changed the tube, and had just picked up the bike to carry on my ride when I realised I could hear a hissing from the front wheel.
Another time I hit a broken bottle or something that took out both tyres. It should really have been two new tyres, but I only had one, so I fitted that and cut a section out of the worst tyre to boot the other (about a 1.5 inch cut). This was on the dual carriageway outside Nice airport. The boot lasted for the ride back home from Heathrow.

Then there's the time I had 4 blowouts and ended up riding the last 10 miles home on a flat tyre. That was because I'd bought a cheap tyre from a bike shop that was closing down, and it didn't like modern rims - the rim hook was cutting through above the tyre bead by sections.

Top Bottom