How many times do you manage it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Don't tell me,you haven't had a p*nct*re since 1972.:cry:

No, but I don't get them often. I had one a few weeks back, but before that, it must be a few years. I think riding well into the road helps (the puncture fairy haunts the gutter, I hear). I must admit to cheating a bit on the punctures though, as I hate fixing flats or changing inner tubes, so I use the most puncture resistant tyres I can afford. Currently that's Panaracer T-Serv PT. Also, when I get the bike overhauled (every two or three years), I always get them to change out the inner tubes.

Next time I change out the tyres, I'm gonna get me some Panaracer RiBMos. I hear they're the ultimate.

Gez73

Veteran
I don't often get p&*$£ures but to be fair I'm quite careful and use Marathon+'s. I have several inner tubes and always at least one spare with me. I haven't actually 'fixed' an inner tube in about twenty years and would be very dubious of my own abilities and reluctant to re-fit one such inner. That said I also have several 'to be fixed' inners too. Hard to throw them away.

2009 came off and broke right elbow, and 2004 came off and broke left ankle.

approx. 2005 I pulled a wheelie on the MTB I had while I was clipped in, but I pulled it too far, couldn't unclip in time, fell off backwards and damn near broke my arse, good God that did hurt!

Touch wood I hope not increase my tally.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
My worst crash was last year when riding through Bristol city centre...and again I prob was not as aware as I should have been...I could see in the distance the light sequence it was on red so started to peddle fast to get through on green....notice a cyclist on my left cycling and talking on his phone...I saw him and ignored him (big mistake)..as I speeded up for the green lights (bigger mistake) the other cyclist rode straight in front of me and took me out...one minute i'm riding the next I'm part of 2 bikes tangled up..I'm too dazed to blame anyone we both get up..his leg is bleeding badly...some first aiders arrive from nearby shop...ambulance called...police called as we had both fallen to the right and hit the door of a stationary vehicle...the lady in the vehicle called her husband who arrived immediately...and he called the police....they arrived and took statements...The other cyclist received medical attention from the medical crew then they arrived...the police finally left...and I limped off badly bruised...bike in need of repair and what did I do...what we all do in this situation...call the good lady...who arrives with the car and takes her wounded hero home.....who lives to fight another day...I went to work the following day on my old hybrid (boneshaker) and told my sorry tale....still do not wear a helmet...you prob think i'm mad...but that's another debate^_^

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
When I was a kid I came off at least twice a week, I got so good at going over the handlebars I could turn around and catch the bike! These days I'm a LOT more careful, but that's as much to do with having responsibilities as a parent as it is about getting older and more fragile!

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

In 42,500 miles (6 years) since I've kept records, only about 12,000 of those miles have been commuting though, I've had one genuine SMIDSY, the other times I came off it was my own fault and/or I could have done something better. Touch wood when I've came off I've rolled right too and only once had to go to hospital.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have so far crashed only a few times as a "proper" cyclist. Once back in December in the snow, a low speed slide on my arse down a hill. It was my fault really for trying to ride home from town on slicks when it was snowing :rolleyes:

And before that in August 2010 when I rode a friend's MTB on holiday and got a jumper I was carrying on the handlebars wedged in the spokes of the front wheel. Cue me making an impromptu stoppie and flying over the handlebars and flat onto the tarmac at 15mph. I was well and truly winded but no lasting ill-effects thankfully.

I try to be more careful nowadays. I say TRY...

Sandra6

Veteran
I've fallen off twice since I started cycling a year ago, both times were off road.
The first was when I decided to take a short cut down the river bank instead of going uphill, it was muddy and the ground uneven so the bike went one way and I went the other. It was quite a graceful dismount although I did buckle the wheel I was unhurt.
The second was on my first mtb experience in Mabie forest. Managed the intermediate route no bother, tackled some segments of the more serious "red" route, decided to finish our day with a pootle round the family circuit which is when I underestimated the disc brakes on a downhill and did a spectacular over the bar dismount followed by a triple roll into a ditch.
Touch wood (taps head) I've never had an accident on the road itself.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I convinced a friend to take his BSO around the local reservoir, he was a bit slow and shaky. We stopped halfway round, got off our bikes and stood chatting. I looked away for a second and heard an almighty clatter, my mate had managed to fall over the top of his bike while stood next to it!

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

Maylian

Veteran
I've had two accidents in the last 18 months, one my own fault and one I was hit by a white van. Both resulted in a cracked / broken rib and annoyingly the second accident happened only a week after I finally recovered from the first.

So far not had any accidents from slipping (came close) yet.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I had one major crash last summer on a damp road where I was taking a tight corner at 25mph. It did hurt.

And I had another one last winter when I slipped on some ice (I had already stopped so it wasnt too bad).

I havent had one this year however, I am trackstanding a bit more so it is a matter of time before I go down in front of a car at some lights and embarrass myself.

Top Bottom