how many tubs do you take with you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashtons99

Im paranoid about puncturing on long runs, I take 2 tubs but a mate fills every crevice on the bike!!!!

I also take the sewing repair kit if things get desperate.

Whats the advice?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i only ever take 1, given that they can run flat. probably a bit cavalier with 1950s irreplaceable wheels though ;)

You mean actual tubs as opposed to inner tubes?

If so I only ever rode on the road for a short period with them and I only had two spares. One was always in a state of guts out repair and the other with me because they punctured frequently. Taking a needle with you is optimistic, you'll be sitting on the roadside for a good 30 minutes cursing if you are as dextrous at sewing as me :rofl:

RedBike

None.

I only ever use tubs when racing. In which case i'm always relatively close to the car.

As it takes me hours to repair a tub I've no intentions of even attempting to change one beside the roadside. Instead I take a cyclinder of sealant/co2, a small pump and a mobile.

Unless the tyre has a wopping big hole or a rip in it then the sealant will keep it inflated sufficiently for me to limp back to the car.

Touring (Which I wont be doing on tubs) I take a few links of chain and spare spokes as well as at least two innertubes and patches.

redddraggon

Blondie
RedBike said:
As it takes me hours to repair a tub I've no intentions of even attempting to change one beside the roadside. Instead I take a cyclinder of sealant/co2, a small pump and a mobile.

Surely it's quicker to change a tub at the side of the road than a tube/clincher?

Just rip the punctured tub off, and whack the preglued spare on and pump up.

RedBike

I've only attempted to change a tub twice. Perhaps there is a nack I haven't got?

After removing the old tub it took me a good 15mins each time to clear the old glue off the rim.
With the rim cleaned I put fresh tape on,
I then put the new tyre on the rim.
Pump up to a low pressure and wait at least 30mins for the glue/tape to set.
Pump up fully.

Bound to be a quicker way i'm sure.

MartinC

Über Member
Paranoia and tubs is a bad combination. I've never used them for anything other than racing, carried one spare in TT's. Don't use them now - nice ride but good clinchers and a pocketful of tubes and patches will always get you home.

redddraggon

Blondie
RedBike said:
I've only attempted to change a tub twice. Perhaps there is a nack I haven't got?

After removing the old tub it took me a good 15mins each time to clear the old glue off the rim.
With the rim cleaned I put fresh tape on,
I then put the new tyre on the rim.
Pump up to a low pressure and wait at least 30mins for the glue/tape to set.
Pump up fully.

Bound to be a quicker way i'm sure.

1. Flat tub off, getting the first bit off with a tyre lever.
2. Leave glue on rim, you need that
3. Install spare preglued tub. No need to wait.
4. Pump up tub

Most of the force holding the tub on will be the pressure in the "inner tube". Removing the glue off the rim, means that you have to go to the effort of reapplying the glue.

Loads of tub info here:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72309

Carbon

Veteran
Just a phone! Not had a puncture in 12 months of road cycling (admittedly only about 1000 miles), tyre pressure is key, keep those tyres at 110psi plus and you'd be unlucky to pick up a flat..
Obviously you need an obliging partner that doesn't mind picking you up at 08:00 a.m on a Sunday if it all goes pear shaped :-)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I only ever used to take one spare with me.

I found tape to be a pain in the arse, half came away on the old tub and the rest stayed on the rim. Tub cement is better IMO, slightly messy to apply but better when it's on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Carbon said:
Just a phone! Not had a puncture in 12 months of road cycling (admittedly only about 1000 miles), tyre pressure is key, keep those tyres at 110psi plus and you'd be unlucky to pick up a flat..
Obviously you need an obliging partner that doesn't mind picking you up at 08:00 a.m on a Sunday if it all goes pear shaped :-)
Boy, will you be sorry you wrote that!

"They" are listening, your number is on the list now boy ;)

Top Bottom