How Much £ £ £ Is it Worth To Win Le Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
How much £ £ £ roughly is the Tour De france worth to the winner including prize money , anvertising etc etc

zimzum42

Legendary Member

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
But google search will not tell me how much £ the winner or other high ranking finishers will recieve in advertising deals etc etc

Pretty obvious why - the advertising deals etc. depend on so many other things not just on placing or winning, including nationality, personality, marketing effort by the individual and team etc. etc.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Pretty obvious why - the advertising deals etc. depend on so many other things not just on placing or winning, including nationality, personality, marketing effort by the individual and team etc. etc.

I don't think it's wrong to ask that. Some other sports do have a culture of sports journalists rapidly calculating and bundling in all earnings and going on and on about it. Other sports even have a culture of earnings tables that are openly published and talked about far too much. If someone else is interested in one of those sports it would be perfectly natural to ask this.

siadwell

Guru
By way of comparison, Sky News website had the following about Wimbledon:
"A win would also cement Murray's place among Britain's richest sports stars.
He is already worth more than £20m, but a Grand Slam win could be worth up to £10m in sponsorship deals, marketing experts predict."

Buddfox

Veteran
As Flying_Monkey says, the answer is surely 'it depends'. It's going to be worth a lot more to Brad Wiggins, given his brand, track record and addressable market than, say, Rein Taaramae, who won't be able to sell nearly so many sports drinks, watches and pairs of sunglasses.

Rob500

Is it true that it's customary for the Tour winner to give his winning money to his team mates because he'll make so much more via sponserships etc over the year? That's just something I've heard someone say.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
Is it true that it's customary for the Tour winner to give his winning money to his team mates because he'll make so much more via sponserships etc over the year? That's just something I've heard someone say.

I also heard something like this but i would find it hard to beleive that they would give all their prize money to their team mates

Anybody know anymore on the subject ?

VamP

Banned
I also heard something like this but i would find it hard to beleive that they would give all their prize money to their team mates

Anybody know anymore on the subject ?

It used to be that the team put all the prize money won over the Tour in a pot, and divided it ten ways. One portion each rider plus one portion to the mechanics. Not sure of they still do that.

Chris.IOW

It's always mentioned in the commentary when they talk about prize money, and Armstrong said in his books this is what he did so I believe it is the custom. The Winners real money comes from the endorsements and bonuses from their personal sponsors etc.

Top Bottom