How much bike do I really need, a 6 month experiment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not meaning to be picky or argumentative but I'd imagine a lot of people who buy a bike for the first time wouldn't think of such things.

Lots of people buy bikes and ride them without ever joining a forum like this.
Many do so online without the sales pitch to upgrade pedals etc. or buy in mass market superstores where there is little service. They want a bike. They buy a bike. They ride it.

I've never bought a new bike but something would strike me as odd if the salesperson effectively said that the pedals, saddle, wheels and tyres weren't fit for purpose.

I'm all for trying something out and finding out for myself what I'd like to change but not from the very start. If I'm a complete beginner is a lighter tyre such an advantage?
In such a case I imagine the buyer would have nothing to compare the purchased bike with and would be accepting of the bike and it's equipment. The pedals are invariably basic flat double sided, so no SPD issues The saddle may or may not be comfortable. They may well decide to change such equipment after riding the bike for a period and as their experience grows.

I've never wiped my backside with sandpaper either however I imagine it's more inconvenient than toilet paper. Just because I've never used something I can still spot flaws in things.

Correct I've never used them and have stated that I only assume they are better from a convenience point of view based on observation and judgement but, surely it's more convenient to have shifters on your bar where your hands are rather than reaching to a downtube which was the advice I was asking for.
Just how inconvenient do you imagine them to be? The reach down to the levers is less than the reach to scratch your arse :smile:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@matticus But I don't scratch my arse as much as I shift gears, well actually thinking about it perhaps I do......^_^

As you said yourself I've never ridden them and didn't grow up with them so never had the opportunity, hence why I am asking for advice.
My assumptions based on limited knowledge would be
DTs are older technology which may not be as efficient as sti.
Harder to change gear when oofing up or down hills with having to reach down.
Less gear options potentially? With limited speeds.

Like I say I'm not as up on them as some of you guys so asking for opinions and reasoning behind it. Not purposely looking to be argumentative but you said they have several advantages that compensate so again, do you care to offer me your more informed advice?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Not meaning to be picky or argumentative but I'd imagine a lot of people who buy a bike for the first time wouldn't think of such things.

Lots of people buy bikes and ride them without ever joining a forum like this.
Many do so online without the sales pitch to upgrade pedals etc. or buy in mass market superstores where there is little service. They want a bike. They buy a bike. They ride it.

I've never bought a new bike but something would strike me as odd if the salesperson effectively said that the pedals, saddle, wheels and tyres weren't fit for purpose.

I'm all for trying something out and finding out for myself what I'd like to change but not from the very start. If I'm a complete beginner is a lighter tyre such an advantage?
A total beginner or a child might not change the pedals but most people who cycle regularly would do. Bikes come with really cheap plastic pedals, they are not good enough if you are riding far on a regular basis. I know because I've had to change them because they haven't been up to the job.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@matticus
Less gear options potentially? With limited speeds.

Nope, your assumptions are all wrong.

More gear options, more derailleur options, easier to setup, smoother shifting, more reliable, easier multiple gear shifts, perfect trimming, visual and physical indication of what gear you are in, lighter by a long way than any STI.

youngoldbloke

Interesting that the OP didn't mention the saddle - I assume it suited them? I believe that one should be able to buy a bike (particularly pricier ones) with a choice of saddle, or none at all with a suitable discount. I've never used the saddles which came with bikes I've bought. Some bike shops will offer a cost free swap but IME all too often you have to buy an additional saddle.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@Ming the Merciless Thank you!

I'm sure horses for courses but good to get an opinion from someone informed.
Like anything, newer does not always mean better by sounds of it

Indeed a lot of poor conclusions are come to by those with no experience. The order in which things are invented isn‘t a good criteria when it comes to “which is better”. You have to examine the criteria by which you mean “better”. If you have no experience then some criteria have to be left as “you don’t know” or ask someone with experience.

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Indeed a lot of poor conclusions are come to by those with no experience. The order in which things are invented isn‘t a good criteria when it comes to “which is better”. You have to examine the criteria by which you mean “better”. If you have no experience then some criteria have to be left as “you don’t know” or ask someone with experience.

Which is why I did so thank you for your input :rolleyes:
Obviously the order things are invented isn't always the best criteria, but can be attributed to some things in life with technological advancements etc.
Bikes I agree however not always, if that were the case steel bikes would not be as popular as they once were which they certainly are.
Out of interest do they still make bikes with downtube shifters or has sti taken over the market in that respect

A total beginner or a child might not change the pedals but most people who cycle regularly would do. Bikes come with really cheap plastic pedals, they are not good enough if you are riding far on a regular basis. I know because I've had to change them because they haven't been up to the job.
I'm not sure if you meant to be dismissive with your "total beginner or child" comment but I rode a bog standard hybrid complete with original pedals to Spain and back (to NL) carrying a fair load.

Some of us either don't see a need to upgrade, can't afford to upgrade or prefer to pick and choose what we upgrade based on what we've learned by cycling the bike.

Isn't it interesting that in your experience the pedals weren't up to scratch? What other products are sold where such an important component was so shoddy that failure was inevitable?
If I bought a new TV and the remote was as crappy as your pedals I'd be pretty peed off.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've been thinking about this today, on and off, and come to the amazing conclusion that different people have different priorities.

For me it's about comfort and quietness, so that I can get on with looking at trees, birds and trying not to get too lost. I'm just as happy on my steel tourer with 9 speed cassette as on my 2kg lighter bike with 11 speed.
Oh yes, I'm happy with flat pedals.

The bike serves a purpose, it is not the purpose, for me.

I'm ready you can banish me to outer darkness now.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'm not sure if you meant to be dismissive with your "total beginner or child" comment but I rode a bog standard hybrid complete with original pedals to Spain and back (to NL) carrying a fair load.

Some of us either don't see a need to upgrade, can't afford to upgrade or prefer to pick and choose what we upgrade based on what we've learned by cycling the bike.

Isn't it interesting that in your experience the pedals weren't up to scratch? What other products are sold where such an important component was so shoddy that failure was inevitable?
If I bought a new TV and the remote was as crappy as your pedals I'd be pretty peed off.
That's fine and everyone has different experiences and priorities etc. Yes I thought it was very interesting about my pedals as well that's why I shared the info. When I've bought a new bike from a store, they have even said do you want some pedals or do you want your own pedals putting on as part of the set up. I don't know one person personally who rides with the standard plastic pedals the bike is sold with. Each to their own though.

youngoldbloke

That's fine and everyone has different experiences and priorities etc. Yes I thought it was very interesting about my pedals as well that's why I shared the info. When I've bought a new bike from a store, they have even said do you want some pedals or do you want your own pedals putting on as part of the set up. I don't know one person personally who rides with the standard plastic pedals the bike is sold with. Each to their own though.
None of the bikes I've bought in recent years came with pedals, but they wouldn't be regarded as entry level, I suppose.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Which is why I did so thank you for your input :rolleyes:
Obviously the order things are invented isn't always the best criteria, but can be attributed to some things in life with technological advancements etc.
Bikes I agree however not always, if that were the case steel bikes would not be as popular as they once were which they certainly are.
Out of interest do they still make bikes with downtube shifters or has sti taken over the market in that respect
I have bikes with DT shifters, Barcons (bar end shifters, both indexed and friction) and with "modern" Integrated shifters / brifters.

All 3 do the job and there are advantages and disadvantage in all. In ease of use brifters win hands down, but barcons dont suffer alot in that respect. but brifters have compatibility issues once you get to swapping stuff around between bikes and much more complex so more to go wrong and obviously more expensive, and harder to find a spare when something breaks as the "new" standard constantly changes as do pull ratio's etc..

is it me or has the OP reached no real conclusion in 6 months?

Top Bottom