How much cleaning??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

Having recently treated myself to a Trek 6700 (which I highly recommend), I'm making much more of an effort to keep her in good nick after rides.

At present, my after ride routine is pretty much, pressure hose the bike, top to bottom a couple of times, make sure all the crud is off and then chain lube, chain, cassette, chainset and then WD40 over pretty much the rest of the parts.

Anyone got anything else they do, or any recommendations??

weely

Do not pressure hose the bike, as this will penitrate the hubs ect and disperse the grease.

I find a simple hose pipe does just as good a job.

RedBike

Yep, keep the pressure hose well away from the bike.
This is the best way to kill bearings.

WD40 is the next best way to kill your bearings. It's designed to penetrate seals and it will remove any protective grease/lubrication you've got in there.
WD40 will also completely wreck your brake pads if you happen to get any on them.
In fact it's probably as well not to spray it on the bike.

Stick to a hose pipe and or a bucket of soapy water.

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Okay so thats my cleaning plan completely down the pan then!

Thanks for the tips, hosepipe and a sponge it is in future!!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If its just surface road gank, I use a baby wipe.
If its deeply crud covered, I maybe use two.

Once in a while, clean the chain with a wet baby wipe.
Lube it, then clean off the excess oil with a dry one.

Job done. Glossy, clean, and oh so pleasantly fragranced :angry:

Dave5N

Über Member
mickle said:
Bucket of hot water
Hose
Posh car shampoo (I use the cheap stuff on the car)
Car washing brush
Drying cloth
Chain rag
Mr Sheen or similar

9/10

Buy and use a Chamois and you get full marks. :biggrin:;););)

Get a Park Chain cleaner and you'll do the same thing even better/quicker/sexier.

In this order:

Hose with thumb over the end
Muc off distributed with a variety of special shaped brushes
Leave for 5 minutes
Hose with thumb over the end
Wipey cloth
Take chain off, soak in paraffin, rinse off, hang up to dry (when I can be bothered)

dodgy

Chain cleaning contraptions are gash. An old rag is all you need, as long as you can spare the 30 seconds it takes after every ride.

zzpza

imho, chain cleaning tools are awesome. a rag won't clean in between the links; a tool will. i don't really clean my mtb. i might hose it down every now and then. this is it clean:

2387062745_19757a5b2d.jpg

and this is it dirty:

2631529705_98bf3e093f.jpg

i do however use the chain cleaner every time i ride the bike (winter rides are usually 20k<x<60k). the mechs get degreased and lubed every month.

my road bike on the other hand gets a soapy wash, sponge and chammy everytime it goes out, but i prefer not to take it out in the winter as it gets filthy. :wacko::cry:

dodgy

If you clean your chain after every ride, you don't get a build up of dirt between the links. It's how I clean the chain on my MTB, and I bet it gets just as dirty as yours.

Dave.

zzpza

dodgy said:
If you clean your chain after every ride, you don't get a build up of dirt between the links. It's how I clean the chain on my MTB, and I bet it gets just as dirty as yours.

Dave.

yep, every ride, and yes i get mud in between the links often.

Top Bottom