How much climbing do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I don't normally pay much attention to my "cycling statistics" apart from distance and average speed (which never varies much). Last weekend, I did a 56-mile ride which (acc to mapmyride) had 1200ft of ascent (and descent, too, as it was a circular route). Is that a lot, or a mere piffling trifle?

Fnaar said:
I don't normally pay much attention to my "cycling statistics" apart from distance and average speed (which never varies much). Last weekend, I did a 56-mile ride which (acc to mapmyride) had 1200ft of ascent (and descent, too, as it was a circular route). Is that a lot, or a mere piffling trifle?

Ahem...... from Llangollen, five of the seven ways out involve climbing over a 1,000 feet. xx(

ChrisKH

Guru
Well I climb in and out of bed every day......................

I was going to say there's not many hills round my way but there are of course. I just go round them (knee exemption pass).

stevenb

I love hill climbing...it's my strongest cycling skill....although I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be as a teen.
I always include hills out on my rides beit off road on the MTB or road and short or long distances.
I like getting to the top and seeing how quickly i can recover a normal breathing pattern again.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ooh, haven't got as far as thinking about grades...it's just riding around the countryside near where I live (rural Northumberland).... I think it would best be described as "rolling" (or 'flat' to a pro)....

stevenb

Theres a nice 1 in 3 climb right near me....although I tend to come down the hill rather than cycle up it....although i have cycled up it many times in the past.
Perhaps I'll put it on my 'To Climb' list now I have my new road bike.

I am a crap climber, and don't do a lot when out on the road because I live somewhere relatively flat. Doing interval training in the gym every week for god knows how long has helped when I have to get up the odd big hill (while touring etc). My average run out (70 miles) involves probably 1800ft of climbing, which isn't a lot.

Smeggers

I did a 46 miler the other day which according to Bikely is about 6000 feet of climbing.

Includes Buxton and stuff though.

Chris James

Über Member
I live 200m above sea level and almost all the routes into my village are single chevron roads.

Most of my bike rides involve spins out above Holmfirth in the Pennines. In fact most of my cycling is either up or down steep hills.

walker

Until I move in the next few Weeks I live on a hill, All around me is hills, so getting a nice flat bit is heaven. Even though I live around the hills my climbing is rubbish. Might be something to do with being built like Mr Backsteadt that sort of solves that one. If anyone here knows of Pains Hill and Box Hill and the b'stard one Tree Hill, you get my point

Top Bottom