How much cycling progress did you make since you first started cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm sorry. I got it wrong. I will edit my post to read "Not everyone". Hopefully that makes more sense
I'm still a bit baffled but I think get the gist.

You have a maximum physical potential, (which could be measured a whole host of ways) and a commitment potential. Your actual potential is the minimum of these two: If you put in low effort you will be limited by your lack of commitment. But if you train like a loon you will hit a ceiling of your own physical limitation.

Personally I know that my own athletic potential is pretty much nil, so for me treating cycling as a sporting endeavor would lead only to disappointment. But that doesn't stop me from setting different kinds of goals, mainly endurance based which is limited by mental ability to just keep going. So there's a third curve ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The gist is at 50yr old , I was a pretty fit teenager and kept fairly active from my twenties to very early 40s playing football. Through in some cycling 40 onwards and I was the fittest I ever was . Now 50 I’m not any fitter however I’m getting slower. So yes if you want to be winning races, you would need to be conditioned from an early age and kept it going . Bypass the opposite sex and alcohol and you will be fine :laugh:

Peugeotrider

Well,as a teen in the late 80s I was activley racing in U16 races and when I got my car license in 1990,I gave up cycling.
In the late 80s,reguarly i would have been training a lot,at least 4-5 times a week.My best 10 mile TT then was 23.40.
So,back in may this year,myself and my old cycling pal got back on our bikes.
We started off doing a 10 mile route and now in november,we will go out and do 40-50 miles at a time.
Did a couple of sportives this year and plan to have a full year of sportives in 2022

Brooks

I took up cycling about 4 years ago after a heart attack. My own fault due to a bad diet and a sedentary lifestyle. I started cycling and I couldn't understand why it seemed so hard, after all it looks easy 😀.
Joined a local group doing easy paced rides and loved it from the get go, even though I struggled to keep up. Regular cycling cured that. Never missed a ride and was asked if I fancied doing ride leader training so jumped at the chance.
As I was long term unemployed I needed to learn how to fix my bike so volunteered at a bike charity and that helped me learn how to fix bikes. I volunteer every week leading or Marshaling on local rides which gives me great satisfaction giving something back.
I've even got full time employment fixing bikes now so I can happily say say cycling has given me a great deal indeed 😀🚴

Fat Lars

I took up cycling about 4 years ago after a heart attack. My own fault due to a bad diet and a sedentary lifestyle. I started cycling and I couldn't understand why it seemed so hard, after all it looks easy 😀.
Joined a local group doing easy paced rides and loved it from the get go, even though I struggled to keep up. Regular cycling cured that. Never missed a ride and was asked if I fancied doing ride leader training so jumped at the chance.
As I was long term unemployed I needed to learn how to fix my bike so volunteered at a bike charity and that helped me learn how to fix bikes. I volunteer every week leading or Marshaling on local rides which gives me great satisfaction giving something back.
I've even got full time employment fixing bikes now so I can happily say say cycling has given me a great deal indeed 😀🚴
That's the best good news cycling story I've heard in a long time. Well done to you.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I started pushing pedals in July and have made good progress from jelly leg beginnings! Am now doing 20m most days but for me its not about distance its about terrain and hills. Ive been persistent in attacking the ****ers! Ones that i had to dismount and walk up are now dismissed in 3rd or 4th [of 8] and my heart rate has come right down. Ive lost a few pounds not that i was much over weight and feel fitter. The grin to grimace ratio is considerably better than 5 months ago and really enjoying it! ^_^

Charlieone

I am new at cycling and about 3 months in. I started cycling to work every day and since then I also go cycling at weekends. My workplace is about 4 miles away and in the beginning it was quite hard to get there because I wasn't really fit. Now (3 months later) it's different. I ride to work every day without feeling exhausted and on the weekend I usually go for a 15 to 20 miles cycling tour. I know compared to you guys it's not much but I never felt healthier :biggrin:

Fat Lars

I am new at cycling and about 3 months in. I started cycling to work every day and since then I also go cycling at weekends. My workplace is about 4 miles away and in the beginning it was quite hard to get there because I wasn't really fit. Now (3 months later) it's different. I ride to work every day without feeling exhausted and on the weekend I usually go for a 15 to 20 miles cycling tour. I know compared to you guys it's not much but I never felt healthier :biggrin:
Starting in the summer months is a good idea. I think we're heading for a cold spell next week. Make sure you wear some bespoke clothing that keeps you warm and dry.

Top Bottom