How much cycling progress did you make since you first started cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm 65 and ride an early 90s, 21 speed Pioneer Trail. I've started cycling in relative earnest the last month or so, starting with a few local 10km rides. The bike isn't the lightest in the world, but to be honest the heaviest thing on it is me, at 15 stone.

I (re) started cycling back in March weighing in at 14.5 stone and today I weighed in at 13 stone for the first time since I was 30 (I am now 59).

I have a lumpy cheap Halfords Apollo MTB which started to give up after a few weeks, so I started to replace each bit as it failed by getting stuff from Amazon or wherever I could during lockdown.

Originally, I was determined to buy a new bike, but as there was nothing available, I stuck with what I've got and upgraded it. It's hard work up the hills but on the plus side, it has made me a lot fitter in a much shorter time frame.

I am now doing a daily commute which a year ago I thought I would never be able to achieve.

My bike doesn't look trendy and I've made some weird modifications to suit my daily trip. How I carry luggage, how I light the road ahead, how I make sure that others see me.

A lot of what I do is straight out of "Blue Peter" with sticky back plastic and washing up liquid bottles.

I fashioned a bottom bracket set mud deflector out of a two litre supermarket bleach bottle and it works a treat.

I carry my luggage in a £5 B&Q storage box fastened to my rack.

It reminds me of when I used to use pegs and strips of cereal packets to make my 1970's chopper sound like a Triumph Bonneville.

When you start riding a bike (or start riding a bike again), the kid in you will come back to life and you will get to see what life is really about.

Last edited:
I agree - that's why my Z is going to be Zeal Monachorum in Devon, a much more doable ride.
Good move!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm 65 and ride an early 90s, 21 speed Pioneer Trail. I've started cycling in relative earnest the last month or so, starting with a few local 10km rides. The bike isn't the lightest in the world, but to be honest the heaviest thing on it is me, at 15 stone.

Is it likely that one day I'll be able to achieve epic distances with the same kit, or is an eventual upgrade inevitable?

Replies including the words "fat bastard" will be ignored.
I have ridden lots of 50-60 mile days on my 1995 steel Marin hybrid. If the mechanicals are good, and the bike is comfortable the only things that will stop you are within you - journey complete, need for rest, need for fuel.

I have ridden lots of 50-60 mile days on my 1995 steel Marin hybrid. If the mechanicals are good, and the bike is comfortable the only things that will stop you are within you - journey complete, need for rest, need for fuel.
yes - if it's a decent frame with a decent well maintained drive train all will be well - rode london to southampton overnight on my 97 (approx) Ridgeback recently - got there too damn early. Not a lot happening at 5.30 in the morning in southampton :sad:
The bike is related to the one that I first bought in 97 - when the folk in the shop suggested I ride it home (maybe 10 to 13 miles) I thought them bonkers.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
In early 2010 I weighed over 18.5 stone. I cycled occasionally with my family. By October I got down to 15 stone 10, but was struggling to get any lower, and bought a road bike. Eventually the bike took over, and became more important than losing weight.

Even at the beginning I could do 25 miles or so at 48 years old. Move it on 10 years and I did PBP last year at 1225 km.

You need to put the distance in to do the distance. Getting several 1000 miles in your legs is the only thing that will make you better. Distance on a bike is not difficult. It is an extremely efficient tool, designed to get you places effectively. It’s pleasant to hear people say how far is that? However doing more miles than most people think is possible is relatively easy with some training.

I try to say that at home, and the response from my wife is: “I know people who wouldn’t drive 200 miles in a day.”

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
I am 75 years of age. Still cycle and enjoy it

However I find that I no longer have the same confidence or balance when cornering or even when cars approach me on a narrow lane.
At low speed (6 to 8 k.m ) I tend to wobble .

I'm afraid one can't turn the " clock back"

Any advice appreciated.

Yours

Douglas

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hello.

However I find that I no longer have the same confidence or balance when cornering or even when cars approach me on a narrow lane.

Any advice appreciated.

Yours

Douglas

Get a trike

weareHKR

Hello.

As you say Doug... " you can't turn the clock back"
With respect your age is bound to slow you down some, it'll happen to us all mate.
Obviously I don't know the demographic of where you live but would probably advise to use designated cycle paths, tow paths, be a lot safer & less stressful for you without the fear of vehicles around you.
Stay safe my friend. :okay:

I restarted cycling in 2013 after a 30 year or so break Golly it was hard work after spending a good deal of my time driving to different Parts of the country to carry out my job. I did about 6miles then 12 to 15 miles over a couple of months (mostly on as many cycle paths as I could find, then started to get more confidence by doing 50- 70 miles then the following year cracked the ton By travelling from Weston across the bridge into wales then up to Gloucester and then back down to Bristol. But must though admit I was worn out by that time so had to get the train back from Bristol It was a real buzz Now though after an injury to a knee have only clocked a maximum of a 60 miler this year And plus the advance of years I was 74 this year still cycle but find I still have the stamina But the stops are just that bit longer and hills seem steeper!!! No matter how hard you tell your self its no steeper they do seem so. But I won't stop me as its great way to see the countryside so keep at it.

Fat Lars

I look at the fitness progress potential of a rider as two curvy lines. Forgive me if this sounds obvious.

The first line represents the potential that you have from your age and therefore starts by going up quite steeply. By the time you reach around 25 years old this curve although progressing upwards will be less steep and by 30 years old start to plateau and then start to decline albeit slowly depending on the individual.
The second line represents everything else which is directly under the riders control. And this curve will go up with committment e.g. structured training, improved resources, good health and so on and down with injuries, reduced training etc. Not everyone is at the intersection of those 2 lines.
Consider a rider with natural ability, aged 40 years old, just starting out, who wants to reach their full potential and prepared to give it everything they have under their control. From a fitness point of view they could expect to look forward to around 6 years or so of improvement . If they also had the best equipment that money could buy then they would be very successful and win many races. That level of committment would raise their level over and above much younger and less committed riders. But they would not win the very top races or become a pro. Those places are reserved for those that started much much earlier.
We can all place ourselves somewhere along these lines and wonder if only, me included. I could have been a contender.^_^

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I look at the fitness progress potential of a rider as two curvy lines. Forgive me if this sounds obvious.

The first line represents the potential that you have from your age and therefore starts by going up quite steeply. By the time you reach around 25 years old this curve although progressing upwards will be less steep and by 30 years old start to plateau and then start to decline albeit slowly depending on the individual.
The second line represents everything else which is directly under the riders control. And this curve will go up with committment e.g. structured training, improved resources, good health and so on and down with injuries, reduced training etc. Everyone right now is at the intersection of those 2 lines.
Consider a rider with natural ability, aged 40 years old, just starting out, who wants to reach their full potential and prepared to give it everything they have under their control. From a fitness point of view they could expect to look forward to around 6 years or so of improvement . If they also had the best equipment that money could buy then they would be very successful and win many races. That level of committment would raise their level over and above much younger and less committed riders. But they would not win the very top races or become a pro. Those places are reserved for those that started much much earlier.
We can all place ourselves somewhere along these lines and wonder if only, me included. I could have been a contender.^_^
Intersection? I don't understand. What if the lines don't intersect at all?

eg commitment is bumbling along the x axis at "Just pop out for a nice ride every now and then" level, while potential is above it at "If you flogged yourself really hard you might be a bit less rubbish" level. The two won't intersect unless the rider trains like mad and reaches their slightly less rubbish maximal potential.

Reactions: C R

Fat Lars

Intersection? I don't understand. What if the lines don't intersect at all?

eg commitment is bumbling along the x axis at "Just pop out for a nice ride every now and then" level, while potential is above it at "If you flogged yourself really hard you might be a bit less rubbish" level. The two won't intersect unless the rider trains like mad and reaches their slightly less rubbish maximal potential.
I'm sorry. I got it wrong. I will edit my post to read "Not everyone". Hopefully that makes more sense

Top Bottom