How much cycling progress did you make since you first started cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is the details.
Otherwise check FB as Ross has posted on the Fridays page.
may PM Ross then - I don't do facefark.

VeganWheels

I'm 11 months in,my first ride I had an average speed of 10.3 mph,last week I went over a 15mph(15.6) average for the 1st time.
My longest ride has only been 37 miles,I've dropped a 17 llb in weight,I get out at least twice a week.
I now climb inclines much quicker than when I started & I feel less fatigued every time I get off the bike.
On my 3rd bike in this time,for various reasons,spent a small fortune,making slow but steady progress every week & love cycling!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm 11 months in,my first ride I had an average speed of 10.3 mph,last week I went over a 15mph(15.6) average for the 1st time.
My longest ride has only been 37 miles,I've dropped a 17 llb in weight,I get out at least twice a week.
I now climb inclines much quicker than when I started & I feel less fatigued every time I get off the bike.
On my 3rd bike in this time,for various reasons,spent a small fortune,making slow but steady progress every week & love cycling!
It just goes to show that there is a slimmer, fitter, healthier person inside all of us, trying to get out

My first ride when I tried cycling about 8 years ago was on a Halfords Apollo hybrid...up over the Snake Pass. I made it but punctured down the other side. No kit to repair it, no money with me other than emergency £5. Had to blag my way onto a train all the way home. Made sure I knew how to fix a puncture after that.

It just goes to show that there is a slimmer, fitter, healthier person inside all of us, trying to get out

My first ride when I tried cycling about 8 years ago was on a Halfords Apollo hybrid...up over the Snake Pass. I made it but punctured down the other side. No kit to repair it, no money with me other than emergency £5. Had to blag my way onto a train all the way home. Made sure I knew how to fix a puncture after that.
please forward train blagging tips.
Are we talking sexual favours?
If so will these also work in all areas of the country?

(like many I suspect as a kid and in my early cycling reborn adult days, the angels were with me with regard to punctures)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
please forward train blagging tips.
Are we talking sexual favours?
If so will these also work in all areas of the country?

(like many I suspect as a kid and in my early cycling reborn adult days, the angels were with me with regard to punctures)
Bamford-Manchester, Manchester-Glossop

Just got on with punctured bike. Told guard I'm sorry but I've got no money and I can't ride home. Both times they said no problem. I must have an honest face

In the greater scheme of things, not much. Did much cycling to school from 1964 to 1970 or so.
Got back into it as a commuter in 2001 (Trek 800 Sport MTB). Probably did 1 day in 5, when spread over the time when cycle commuting was possible. So no biggie.
Then nothing for a long time, until about 2012. Got a Raleigh Urban 2 hybrid to add to the Trek. Didn't do that many miles on either, mainly short shopping trips and to get the Sunday papers.
Decided to do London to Brighton in 2016, so needed to get some miles done. Initially, this meant me on the Trek and my son on the Raleigh, but ended up with him buying a 13 Implicit Alpha hybrid, which he still rides. Sold the Raleigh. Did the L2B on the stock Trek, tailed off a bit after that. Then, in 2017, I did a basic cycle maintenance and mechanics' course at Bikespace in Plymouth. Completed that and ended up with the Scott roadie as a freebie instead of the new Raleigh hybrid which came with the course. Haven't looked back since.
Have still not done massive mileage in any year, mainly due to surgeons carving various bits or even replacing them, but have topped 500 miles this year despite heavyweight spinal surgery, so getting better generally.
And my bikes are all modified to suit me, they are truly MY bikes, and pretty much unique. Or ruined, as some would say...
:biggrin:

Johnsop99

Veteran
Today is the 8th anniversary of my first ride aged 52 after a 25 year break since my last bike was stolen. I didn't want to spend too much on a bike just in case I didn't take to it again so got a new BTwin Triban 3 (red) for £299. I managed to drag the bike and my 11st 12lb body around a 10.3 mile circuit, puffing and panting, in 52' 20", Av Speed 11.9mph. I was all but dead when I got home but happy that I had managed 10 miles. Moving on 8 years I have cycled 24,000 miles (longest ride 103 miles) and there are another 4 bikes in the stable. To see how much progress I have made I took the original Red Rocket out on the same circuit. Now aged 60 but weight down to 11st 0lb I completed the circuit in 37'56" Av. speed 16.3mph but more importantly felt that I could easily carry on and do second lap without feeling any ill effects. I try to do one 40/50 mile ride a week if i can. Hope that this encourages other relative newbies to keep going.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Today is the 8th anniversary of my first ride aged 52 after a 25 year break since my last bike was stolen. I didn't want to spend too much on a bike just in case I didn't take to it again so got a new BTwin Triban 3 (red) for £299. I managed to drag the bike and my 11st 12lb body around a 10.3 mile circuit, puffing and panting, in 52' 20", Av Speed 11.9mph. I was all but dead when I got home but happy that I had managed 10 miles. Moving on 8 years I have cycled 24,000 miles (longest ride 103 miles) and there are another 4 bikes in the stable. To see how much progress I have made I took the original Red Rocket out on the same circuit. Now aged 60 but weight down to 11st 0lb I completed the circuit in 37'56" Av. speed 16.3mph but more importantly felt that I could easily carry on and do second lap without feeling any ill effects. I try to do one 40/50 mile ride a week if i can. Hope that this encourages other relative newbies to keep going.
View attachment 552728
This is very inspiring, good on you for giving cycling another go.where do you like to go cycling?

Johnsop99

Veteran
Around Bude I would guess?
Spot on! Any direction out of Bude (except west of course) has got good cycling terratory (as long as you like hills). Spectacular views and scenery all around. Currently up to M in the ABC towns/villages challenge and hoping to complete the full set with circular or out and back rides from home.

Ruraldean

Regular
I'm 65 and ride an early 90s, 21 speed Pioneer Trail. I've started cycling in relative earnest the last month or so, starting with a few local 10km rides. The bike isn't the lightest in the world, but to be honest the heaviest thing on it is me, at 15 stone.

Is it likely that one day I'll be able to achieve epic distances with the same kit, or is an eventual upgrade inevitable?

Replies including the words "fat bastard" will be ignored.

Top Bottom