How much cycling progress did you make since you first started cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
My first attempt was with one of these halfords specials... I think it weighed 14-16kg.

That's what my current bike (Giant Toughroad) weighs - 15.6 kg, with the pannier and rack. Perhaps one day I'll get something lighter and find I can go faster than 12 mph!

Like many others I've been cycling since I was a kid. Even when I had a car I'd still cycle to work. But I have noticed that during periods where cycling is infrequent (like this year due to the initial lock down and general busyness) my distance can drop very quickly from a comfortable 50 miles to just 20. I miss the longer rides, I must say.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have always ridden a bike, but started to get serious about 10 years ago. Before then, 10 miles was a long ride, and some of the hills south of Birmingham were beyond me.

I met up with a few people on here for Saturday morning rides, and one of them was a member of a local cycling club. He took us up some of the more challenging hills in the area at a pace that was steady and manageable, and I found myself doing 20+ miles with ease.

Later that year I challenged myself to what I thought was close to my limit of endurance at a 50 mile sportive. A couple of years later I was doing close to 150 over some seriously hilly terrain, and last year did the 150 coast-to-coast in a day with 4,500m of climbing.

On such rides I stop every 30 miles or so and scoff whatever is on offer, including cakes, flapjack, fruit, crisps for sugar, slow release carbs and salt. On the ride I scoff jelly babies if required. Generally the idea is to eat food I love and gives me energy.

I favour the out and back approach as it stops me giving up and bailing out early. I choose a destination and/or some routes to discover for some interest and a challenge. Going out with others definitely helps with reducing the boredom, getting hints and tips, talking through your challenges and stopping you going too fast. Remember that the last 10 miles are the most difficult however far you ride. There is always the ride where you think you have bitten off more than you can chew, but the experience of actually getting back gives you the confidence to keep pushing.

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
What distances were you able to cover at first and what distances are you able to cover now? Any advice appreciated
The maximum distance I am able to cover at once is 50km how do I go about extending the distances I can cover? I always get paranoid that I will cycle too far 1 way and then I will be screwed on my way back as I won't have enough energy to cycle back. Also how often should someone have rest stops and for how long?
Thanks for this interesting thread. Only yesterday, I had the feeling of having gone too far, was a little bit lost, & I didn't have any food or water. I knew it was a tailwind going home so that helped a lot.

50k is a good distance:smile: The circular route is an excellent idea. Also, have a look at the weather and wind direction before you go out - I always prefer to go out in the direction of a head wind and return with a tail wind - it's much easier physically and psychologically:smile:

Take rest stops whenever you want to. If you like them, it's handy to have a stash of almonds/ brazil nuts/ cashews etc with you, easy to carry and good for maintaining energy.

It's always much easier to travel big distances in a group than solo - getting a rest from the wind works wonders for energy saving.

The most important bit is to enjoy your cycling:smile:.
+ 1

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Thanks for this interesting thread. Only yesterday, I had the feeling of having gone too far, was a little bit lost, & I didn't have any food or water. I knew it was a tailwind going home so that helped a lot.

50k is a good distance:smile: The circular route is an excellent idea. Also, have a look at the weather and wind direction before you go out - I always prefer to go out in the direction of a head wind and return with a tail wind - it's much easier physically and psychologically:smile:

Take rest stops whenever you want to. If you like them, it's handy to have a stash of almonds/ brazil nuts/ cashews etc with you, easy to carry and good for maintaining energy.

It's always much easier to travel big distances in a group than solo - getting a rest from the wind works wonders for energy saving.

+ 1
I have increased my distance to 85km maximum now, I am confident that within 2 weeks or less I will be able to do 100km. I have tried to get my friends into cycling and to join me but unfortunately none of them were convinced as “they hate tiring themselves out” well it is their loss. I plan on joining a cycling club in September so I can finally go on large group rides :smile:

I was never a mile muncher in my youth, 20 miles was my extreme max range.
I took up cycling again in 30s and gradually extended so 50 miles in a day became pretty easy. At one point I had some long circilar routes and I knew exactly how long they would take so I I had 40 mins or 2 hrs I could ride them exactly.
If you ride longer regularly you get a kind of deep fitness which is different to the extra muscle you build after a few weeks.
Always start riding into the wind so you get a tailwind home.
On a ride of a couple of hours I try not to cool down on a stop. It is usually easier to keeo riding than to start again.
Keep yourself fed and watered. On 1-2hr routes I can pre hydrate and really dont touch the water I carry.

Sharky

Guru
I had a tricycle before that, but I was about 3 when I switched to two wheels 😁
I started on a tricycle as well, at about 3 to 5yrs old. My dad was a cyclist as well and I used to long for a two wheeler. For my 6th birthday, in the Feb, I was given a Hercules, but to may dismay, I could not ride it. Took me about 6 months before I mastered it, then nothing could stop me and haven't stopped since!

When I started cycled I thought 15 miles was really hardcore - I then made the mistake of slogging through very long distances, even though I was dying on the bike !!!!
50K - sounds like a decent whack - my advice would be to do that distance more often. but it really depends what you want out of cycling ? - do you want to go faster? loose weight, or go on long slow touring rides ?

I would also build in some off the bike training - gym/pilates/yoga ?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

When I started cycled I thought 15 miles was really hardcore - I then made the mistake of slogging through very long distances, even though I was dying on the bike !!!!
50K - sounds like a decent whack - my advice would be to do that distance more often. but it really depends what you want out of cycling ? - do you want to go faster? loose weight, or go on long slow touring rides ?

I would also build in some off the bike training - gym/pilates/yoga ?
For me cycling is a challenge and a means of pushing myself. It is really difficult to cycle fast in an urban setting as I have to constantly break at the red light and there are so many in a very short distance so I am more focused on distance rather than speed.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
When I started cycling as an adult, I could do 20 miles; that was on a MTB. My barrier was always saddle pain rather than fatigue. I sorted out the comfort issues and was able to do 50 miles within a few months, but with a good break half way (1-2 hours having a cuppa with my folks). I got to the stage where I could do 40 miles, but again it wasn't as much fatigue as it was back and bum pain. I gave up proper cycling then for other reasons, but it doesn't take long to build up the miles if your bike is set up properly for you. I live in hilly Devon and wasn't that fit, so probably averaged 11mph, but I wouldn't worry about speed, just enjoy it. IMHO doing 100 miles at 11mph is more beneficial than doing 50 miles at 20mph average

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
For me cycling is a challenge and a means of pushing myself. It is really difficult to cycle fast in an urban setting as I have to constantly break at the red light and there are so many in a very short distance so I am more focused on distance rather than speed.

I guess some of us are just blessed by location... In one direction i have ally pally for the big hill climbs while in the other direction I have regents park with their outer circle for great training laps. Both locations are within 3-7miles of me. I also have Richmond Park but that very much right out of my way to even consider it being a regular training ground.

Maybe its worth checking google maps to see if you have something similar within a 10mile radius.

BigMeatball

What distances were you able to cover at first and what distances are you able to cover now?

Got into cycling at the end of 2019, I think I bought my bike around October. Hadn't been on a bike for 20 years.

First ride was 20km and felt no fatigue.
Second ride was 40km and felt no fatigue.
Third ride was 80km and my legs felt sore for the next 3 days ^_^

Fast forward to now; did my first 100km+ ride (120km to be precise) a couple of weeks ago and I felt so good that I went for a leisurely 70km ride the day after as the weather was just too nice not to. Could definitely do back to back 120-130km rides now no problems.

All this doing 1 ride a week during winter months and 2-3 rides during spring/summer months so overall relatively low mileage.

If you're distance focused IME on the bike fuelling is as important as fitness.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Got my 10 speed Coventry Eagle for Christmas when I was 14 IIRC, and rode it 50 miles to my Grannies on Boxing Day.
And now, 40 years later...I can still do a 50 mile ride! My bikes now are a lot lighter, which is more than I am.
The last touring I did, about this time last year, involved two hilly 40-odd mile days, from Carlisle to Newcastle, on a Brompton. That was a bit of a struggle, as it was far from the best tool for the job.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To the OP , I`m near on 40000 miles since I started regularly logging mileage. Longest ride is 106 miles, could do higher distances but the fun police in my house would take a dimm view :laugh:. Since I commute regular 100 miles a week. Don`t let anyone tell you you will save money, you won`t haha.

PS alot of that mileage was on a fixed wheel btw !

Top Bottom